John Richards (radio personality)
John Richards is an American radio personality. Originally from Couer d'Alene, Idaho, he grew up in Spokane, Washington before moving to Seattle. He is the host and producer of The Morning Show on 90.3 FM KEXP Seattle, Washington. He is also KEXP’s assistant program director and is referred to on air as "John in the Morning". His show is on weekday mornings from 6AM-10AM PST, and always begins with the theme song written specifically for The Morning Show by local Seattle musician Damien Jurado.
Richards created International Clash Day in 2013 "for no other reason than the fact that he could." It is now celebrated across the world, not only in the State of Washington, but in Austin, Ithaca, Kent, San Francisco, Seattle, Tucson, Vancouver B.C., Bridgwater (UK), and Washington D.C.
Richards has done an annual "Mom Show" since 2004: On November 13, the anniversary of his mothers death, his show features song requests and messages from listeners that deal with the shared experience of grief.
Richards' annual "Songs of Love and Hate" show features "songs of yearning, lust, loss, and heartbreak" on Valentine's Day.
- Davila, Florangela. "John Richards: For DJ, a lesson in cool from brother". Seattle Times. Retrieved 3 February 2008.
- "John Richards". NPR. NPR. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- Richards, John. "Damien Jurado: Bringing It All Back Home". NPR. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Asher, Tizzy. "KEXP DJ works to channel 'Local Music'". Seattle P-I. Retrieved 4 April 2007.
- Reed, Ryan. "Seattle Honors the Clash By Declaring 'International Clash Day'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- Leight, Elias. "The Clash Honored in Nine Cities With 'International Clash Day'". Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- YANDEL, JEANNIE. "KEXP DJ's 'Mom Show' Creates A Music Space For Grieving". KUOW. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- Beckmann, Jim. "Valentine's Day Video Roundup: Songs of Love and Hate". KEXP Blog. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Is There a More Influential Seattle DJ Than John Richards?, Seattle Metropolitan, December 3, 2015.
- Best of Seattle 2006: Readers' Picks, Seattle Weekly, August 2, 2006.
- John Zebrowski, Spin Man, Seattle Times.