John Riddy (born 1959) is a British photographer who came to the fore after his solo exhibition at Camden Arts Centre in 2000. He lives and works in London and has exhibited internationally since 1998.
Life and career
Riddy started taking and printing photographs at the age of 14 and earned a BA and MA in Fine Art at Chelsea School of Art (1980–84). Since his first solo exhibition in 1993 Riddy has consistently worked in series, with an emphasis on considered description. Architecture, the particularities of place and the urban environment have been constant subjects, whilst the starting point for many of his series has been the relationship between photography and the history of art and architecture. Typical examples are the autobiography of John Ruskin, the woodblock prints of Hokusai  and the photographs of Gustave le Gray. Choices about format, materials and technique have been intrinsic to each series and Riddy’s focus has been on the exhibited print.
In 1993 Riddy had his first solo exhibition with the Cairn Gallery. Shortly afterwards he started working with Frith Street Gallery who continue to represent him. His first survey exhibition was at Camden Arts Centre in 2000  and he showed his series Views from Shin-Fuji at the Victoria and Albert Museum in 2006. He has exhibited regularly with Galerie Paul Andriesse in the Netherlands  and Lawrence Markey in the USA. His exhibition Palermo at Frith Street gallery in 2013 was reviewed by theguardian.com and Aesthetica Magazine. Aesthetica described the photographs as "anything but spontaneous. Physical decay of the urban landscape is juxtaposed with a remarkable formal beauty just as, in a more conceptual sense, time and timelessness contend with each other in these works". Adrian Searle commented "If his photographs have anything to do with Cartier-Bresson's "decisive moment", it is a moment that has taken months and several visits to present itself. It is the moment when everything seems alive but precisely nothing is happening.".
Palermo, Frith Street Gallery, London, 2013 Low Relief - Photographs of London, Frith Street Gallery, London, 2009 Views from Shin-Fuji, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2006 John Riddy, Camden Arts Centre, 2000
Praeterita, touring exhibition, Ruskin Gallery, Sheffield, Brantwood, Coniston, Ruskin Library, Lancaster, 2000
- Views from Shin-Fuji, published by Frith Street Books, 2013
- Palermo, published by Frith Street Books, 2013
- John Riddy, published by Camden Arts Centre in association with the de la Warr Pavilion, 2000
- Praeterita, published by the Ruskin School of Drawing, 2000
- Rome, published by Lawrence Markey Gallery, New York, 1999
- Southampton City Art Gallery, Hampshire
- Tate, London
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London[not in citation given]
- De Pont Museum, Tilburg
- Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam
- Arts Council of Great Britain, London
- British Council Collection
Other critical writings
- Rachel Withers, Art Forum, June 2009
- Rebecca Geldard, Time Out Exhibition of the Week, March 2009
- "Matt's Gallery". mattsgallery.org. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Simon Denison Photography". simondenison.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Mount Fuji photographs by John Riddy - Victoria and Albert Museum". vam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "The Ruskin School University of Oxford —". Ruskin-sch.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Exhibitions | JOHN RIDDY: PALERMO | Frith Street Gallery". frithstreetgallery.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Exhibitions | John Riddy". johnriddy.net. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Bio | John Riddy | Frith Street Gallery". frithstreetgallery.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Mount Fuji photographs by John Riddy - Victoria and Albert Museum". Vam.ac.uk. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Gallery Paul Andriesse". paulandriesse.nl. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Lawrence Markey: Exhibitions". lawrencemarkey.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Róisín Lacey-McCormac (2013). "John Riddy: Palermo, London". Aesthetica Blog. Aestheticamagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- Adrian Searle (24 April 2013). "Shades of Sicily: John Riddy's photographs of Palermo". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- "Exhibitions | JOHN RIDDY: LOW RELIEF Photographs of London | Frith Street Gallery". frithstreetgallery.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Art and artists: artworks". Tate. 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Museum De Pont: artist :: John Riddy : works in collection". Depont.nl. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Utrecht, 2004 - Stedelijk *Museum Amsterdam". Stedelijk.nl. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "/ archive". Artforum.com. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- "Exhibition of the week" (PDF). Time Out. March 2009. Retrieved 2014-07-22.