John Roach (American football)
|No. 12, 33, 10|
|Position:||Quarterback, Defensive back|
March 26, 1933|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||197 lb (89 kg)|
|High school:||Dallas (TX) Highland Park|
|NFL Draft:||1956 / Round: 3 / Pick: 31|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
John Gipson Roach (born March 26, 1933) is a former American football quarterback and defensive back in the National Football League for the Chicago/St. Louis Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, and Dallas Cowboys. He played college football at Southern Methodist University.
In 1960, he became the starting quarterback, after the team lost to injury two quarterbacks during their first season in St. Louis. On July 5, 1961, in a surprising move, he was sent to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for Halfback Prentice Gautt and rookie End Taz Anderson.
Green Bay Packers
Roach was the backup quarterback on the Packers' 1961 and 1962 NFL championship teams, backing up Bart Starr under head coach Vince Lombardi. In 1963, when Starr injured his passing hand in the sixth game against the St. Louis Cardinals, he was held out for 4½ games and Roach was named the starter during those contests. The team was 4–1 with Starr sidelined and finished 11–2–1, but the 26–7 loss to the Chicago Bears in mid-November was critical; keeping them a half game back in the Western Conference final standings and denied the Packers a chance to win an unprecedented third consecutive NFL championship game.
In 1964, Roach retired to work for an investment firm in Dallas, until the Dallas Cowboys convinced him to play in his home state. He was acquired after starting quarterback Don Meredith went down with a knee injury in the preseason game against the Green Bay Packers. He started in 4 games, passing for 349 yards, one touchdown and 6 interceptions.
- "Roach waiting, ready". Milwaukee Journal. October 22, 1963. p. 15, part 2.
- Johnson, Chuck (August 8, 1961). "John Roach is obtained". Milwaukee Journal. p. 10, part 2.
- "John Roach promoted by Packers". Reading Eagle. Pennsylvania. Associated Press. October 22, 1963. p. 18.
- Hand, Jack (October 22, 1963). "Roach only sub for Starr". Ocala Star=Banner. Florida. Associated Press. p. 9.
- Strickler, George (November 18, 1963). "Showdown battle is all Bears, 26-7". Chicago Tribune. p. 1, section 3.
- Lea, Bud (November 18, 1963). "Spirited Bears maul Packers, take lead". Milwaukee Sentinel. p. 2, part 2.
- Johnson, Chuck (November 18, 1963). "Bears rip Packers in showdown, 26-7". Milwaukee Journal. p. 9, part 2.
- "John Roach joins Cowboys". Montreal Gazette. Associated Press. September 1, 1964. p. 25.
- "Cowboys' hopes rest on Roach". Milwaukee Journal. Associated Press. October 1, 1964. p. 12, part 2.
- "Roach". Milwaukee Journal. UPI. November 28, 1964. p. 2, final.