John Robert Greene
John Robert Greene
Greene speaking at the Harry S. Truman Library, 2014
|Born||April 13, 1955|
Syracuse, New York
|Occupation||College Professor and Writer|
John Robert Greene is an American historian who is the Paul J. Schupf Professor, History and Humanities, the director of the History Program, co-director of the History/Social Science major, and the College Archivist, at Cazenovia College in Cazenovia, New York. Greene specializes in American history, with research and writing interests in the American presidency. He has edited or written nineteen books, including works on Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush. He has also written several volumes of history of higher education.
Personal life and education
Greene was born in Syracuse, New York on April 13, 1955. He is the son of John C. Greene and Margaret (Tozer) Greene. Greene attended Syracuse public schools until 1968, when he entered Christian Brothers Academy (CBA), a private high school in Syracuse, from where he graduated in 1973. That year, he entered St. Bonaventure University, initially majoring in history with a pre-law minor.
In 1975 Greene changed his focus to secondary education, and in 1977 he received his Bachelor of Arts in history, with a New York State teaching certification in Social Studies (7-12). In 1979 Greene received his Master of Arts in history from St. Bonaventure. While at St. Bonaventure, Greene was a disc jockey for the campus radio stations, WOFM-AM, and WSBU-FM, and served on the station's Board of Directors. In 1979 Greene entered the PhD program in American History at Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He completed his doctorate under the advisorship of David H. Bennett in October 1983; his dissertation explored "The Presidential Election of 1952."
Greene lives in Chittenango, New York. He is married, and has three children.
Greene has taught at Cazenovia College in Cazenovia, New York since September 1979. He was originally hired as a part-time instructor, serving as station manager of the campus radio station, WITC (FM) until 1985, and teaching an assortment of classes, largely multi-sections of Effective Speaking. In May 1984 he received a full-time appointment to the faculty, and in December 1987 he was tenured to the college. In 1993 he was named Distinguished Faculty Member, and in February 2000 he was named to Cazenovia College's first endowed chair, the Paul J. Schupf Chair in History and Humanities. He presently teaches courses in history, government, and research methodology.
Awards and honors
- Alpha Sigma Lambda (National Honor, Continuing Education)
- Delta Epsilon Sigma (National Honor Society)
- Phi Alpha Theta (History)
- Pi Delta Epsilon (Journalism)
- Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities; in American Education; in the East; Among Teachers
Books and other publications
- I Like Ike: The Presidential Election of 1952 (Univ. Press of Kansas, 2017) 
- The Presidency of George H.W. Bush (2nd. ed., revised; 2015)
- America in the 1960s (2010)
- Betty Ford: Candor and Courage in the White House (2004)
- The Hill: An Illustrated Biography of Syracuse University (2000)
- Generations of Excellence: An Illustrated Biography of Cazenovia College (2000)
- The Presidency of George Bush (2000)
- Syracuse University: The Eggers Years (1998)
- Syracuse University: The Tolley Years (1996)
- The Presidency of Gerald R. Ford (1995)
- The Limits of Power: The Nixon and Ford Administrations (1993)
- The Crusade: The Presidential Election of 1952 (1985)
- Presidential Profiles: The George W. Bush Years (2011)
- Richard M. Nixon: A Bibliography. (2006)
- Presidential Profiles: The Nixon and Ford Years (2006)
- Presidential Profiles: The George H. W. Bush Years (2006)
- Gerald R. Ford: A Bibliography (1994)
- The Speech: A Guide to Effective Speaking (1993)
- The Quest: A Guide to the Job Interview (1991)
- "The Nixon-Ford years /". www.worldcat.org. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "John Robert Greene | C-SPAN.org". www.c-span.org. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Former first lady Betty Ford dead at 93 – USATODAY.com". USATODAY.COM. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Ivory Tower | Member Supported Public Television, Radio | WCNY". www.wcny.org. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "I Like Ike". kansaspress.ku.edu. Retrieved 2018-05-10.
- "The Presidency of George H. W. Bush Revised By Historian John Robert Greene | University Press of Kansas Blog". universitypressblog.dept.ku.edu. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Cazenovia College professor John Robert Greene takes a look back at the '60s". syracuse.com. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "America in the Sixties :: BUY DIRECT from Syracuse University Press by John Robert Greene". www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "America in the Sixties | Reviews in History". www.history.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Review, Betty Ford, Candor and Courage".
- "Nonfiction Book Review: Presidency of George Bush by John Robert Greene". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Langston, Thomas (1995-12-01). "Review of Greene, John Robert, The Presidency of Gerald R. Ford (American Presidency Series)". www.h-net.org. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "THE PRESIDENCY OF GERALD R. FORD by John Robert Greene | Kirkus Reviews". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 2015-11-04.