John Robertson (composer)
This article has an unclear citation style.July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||(Ernest) John Robertson|
|Born||October 21, 1943|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Genres||Opera, Concert Music|
|Instruments||Wind Instrument: Clarinet|
(Ernest) John Robertson (21 October 1943) is a New Zealand born Canadian composer of concert music. He received his preliminary musical educational as part of his schooling in New Zealand. Upon emigrating to Canada in 1967 he took a position in the general insurance business but in the mid 1970s he embarked on a course of private study in composition and counterpoint at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto with Dr Sam Dolin. In 1987 an entry in a composition competition won him a performance of his Variations for small orchestra Op 14, and since then his music has been heard in Canada, Australia, Mexico, the UK, Sweden and Bulgaria. In 2014 after some orchestral pieces of his were played in Ruse, Bulgaria, the Ruse State Opera asked him to write an opera and the one hour long "Orpheus" was staged there in June 2015 and was revived in February and May 2016, and in June 2017.
He currently resides in Kingston, Ontario Canada
- Overture for a Musical Comedy (orchestra)
- Serenade in G (chamber orchestra)
- Autumn Ramble (chamber orchestra)
- Serenade for Strings
- Salome Dances (orchestra)
- Cyrano (orchestra)
- Symphony #1 (orchestra) }
- Variations for small Orchestra } CD available online
- Suite for Orchestra }
- Orpheus - A Masque (opera)*
- Symphony #2 (orchestra) }
- Vallarta Suite (orchestra) } CD available online
- Strut In - A March (orchestra) }
- Lady Jane - A Fable (theatre piece)*
- Symphony #3 (orchestra)
- "Lady Jane" First performance in Rusé, Bulgaria 2/June/2017 paired with "Orpheus"
- "IMSLP's". Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- Re "Orpheus" Overture performance "the piece was gorgeous ... I want to hear this piece again" Puerto Vallarta Daily News 26/3/2015
- lgso.org.uk 2009/10 season 4/7/2010,
- "London Gay Symphony Orchestra". London Gay Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "Държавна Опера Русе". www.ruseopera.com. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
Videos of Compositions recorded in Ruse, Bulgaria in September 2014 by the Ruse Philharmonic conducted by Anthony Armore
Orpheus ~ A Masque part 1:
Orpheus ~ A Masque part 2:
Orpheus ~ A Masque part 3:
Orpheus ~ A Masque part 4: