John Robinson (church musician)
John Robinson (born 1983) is an English organist and choral conductor. Currently, he is the Director of Music at St. Paul's Choir School, in Harvard Square, US. There he trains and directs the Choristers of St. Paul's Choir School in church services, concerts, and recordings. The Choir has recently collaborated with other well-known ensembles, including the Boston Lyric Opera, Boston Symphony Orchestra and Vienna Boys' Choir. Recordings of the choir under Robinson have been with the Decca and Sony Classical labels, through AimHigher recordings, and have resulted in extensive media coverage. Robinson is active as an Organ Recitalist, having performed in venues across the US and Europe, and recorded for Priory, Herald, Hyperion and Ambisonic. He has led choral festivals for various organisations including the RSCM and Pueri Cantores.
Education and early career
Robinson was a chorister and Organ student of Roy Massey at Hereford Cathedral then Organ Scholar at Canterbury Cathedral working with Dr David Flood. He became the Organ Scholar at St John's College, Cambridge with Christopher Robinson and David Hill. At University of Cambridge he won the Brian Runnett Prize for Organ, and the Plymouth National Young Organists' Competition. He became Fellow of The Royal College of Organists and graduated from Cambridge University with a degree in Music.
From 2005, Robinson was Assistant Organist at Carlisle Cathedral where he made several organ recordings for Priory Records including the Complete Organ Works of Samuel Sebastian Wesley and a recording of Romantic English Organ Music. He was the Director of Carlisle Cathedral Youth Choir, and of Cockermouth Harmonic Society.
In 2008, he became Assistant Organist at Canterbury Cathedral and organist of The King's School, Canterbury. He made a solo DVD of Canterbury Cathedral Organ with Priory Records, hailed as 'Recording of the Month' by Music Web International, as well as recordings with the Cathedral Choir and Choir of The King's School, Canterbury.
In 2010, Robinson was appointed Organist and Director of Music at St. Paul's Choir School, in Harvard Square. There he is responsible for training the Choir of Men and Boys in daily sung liturgies, concerts, tours and recordings. Having professionalised the men of the choir, Robinson has significantly widened the liturgical repertoire of the Choir. He has overseen collaborations with other choirs and orchestras, which have raised the profile of the Choir both nationally and internationally. He led their first internationally released recording 'Christmas in Harvard Square'. The recording remained high on the Classical Billboard Charts for months after its release. Robinson is active in conducting Youth Choir Festivals, and as an advisor to Church Music appointments. Robinson has appeared as an organist across the US. Recently the choir has released a second album, 'Ave Maria' with Sony Classical.
- 2002 -  Praeludium, a recording of Organ and Clavichord music
- 2006 -  Organ Music from Carlisle Cathedral
- 2008 -  Complete Organ Works of S. S. Wesley
- 2010 -  DVD of Organ Solos (Great Cathedrals Series)
- 2005 -  Mendelssohn Choral Works with the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge
- 2008 -  Choral Works of F. W. Wadely, with Carlisle Cathedral Choir
- 2009 -  for Herald AV Publications Music for Christmas and Advent, with The King's School Choir, Canterbury
- 2010 -  Kodaly Missa Brevis, Vierne Messe solennelle, with Canterbury Cathedral Choir
- "Catholic choir school trains angelic voices - The Boston Globe". Archive.boston.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- (PDF) http://www.pcchoirs.org/sites/default/files/Today%27s_Catholic_Article_Mar_2015.pdf. Missing or empty
- "Search - john robinson | Britain's Premier Church Music Label". Prioryrecords.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Submitted by root_admin (2012-01-20). "Wesley: Complete Organ Works (John Robinson) | Classical music review from". Classical-Music.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- International, MusicWeb. "The Grand Organ of Canterbury Cathedral - Priory PRDVD6 [ST]: Classical Music Reviews - November 2011 MusicWeb-International".
- Gantz, Jeffrey (2014-11-22). "Old traditions ring anew in youthful voices of St. Paul's Choir". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Myers, Marc (2014-11-24). "Six Albums for the Holiday Season". WSJ. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Holiday music reviews: Seth MacFarlane, Downton Abbey, Idina Menzel, more". LA Times. 2014-11-26. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Christmas in Harvard Square: The Boys of St. Paul's Choir School - Discover". Classic FM. 2014-12-01. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "John Robinson | American Federation Pueri Cantores". Pcchoirs.org. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Montréal Boys' Choir Course". Mbccusa.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
| Director of Music
of St. Paul's Choir School