John Charles Rood
|United States Under Secretary of Defense for Policy|
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2018
|Preceded by||Christine E. Wormuth|
|Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security|
September 28, 2007 – January 20, 2009
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Robert Joseph|
|Succeeded by||Ellen Tauscher|
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
John Charles Rood (born 1968) is an American national security policymaker and government official who currently serves as the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. Prior to assuming his current role, he was Senior Vice President of Lockheed Martin where he oversaw international business. He also served as Vice President for Domestic Business Development at Lockheed Martin and he was a Vice President at the Raytheon Company.
Rood has also served as Acting Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security and as Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Nonproliferation. He served at the United States National Security Council as special assistant to the president and senior director of Counterproliferation and Director of Proliferation Strategy for Counterproliferation in Homeland Defense. Rood served at the Defense Department as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Forces Policy, and at the Central Intelligence Agency as an analyst following missile programs in foreign countries. In addition, he served as senior policy advisor to U.S. Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona.
On October 16, 2017, Rood was nominated by President Donald Trump to become the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on January 3, 2018. In January of 2018, Secretary James N. Mattis released the National Defense Strategy (NDS) which places the order of priorities for the Department of Defense as China, Russia, North Korea, Iran and then Countering Terrorism. As the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, Rood is responsible for the implementation of the NDS worldwide.  
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John C. Rood.|
- "John C. Rood > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Biography View". www.defense.gov.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Key Personnel to his Administration". The White House. October 11, 2017. Retrieved December 11, 2017. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Rogin, Josh (June 9, 2017). "Pentagon to get a new policy chief". Washington Post. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Gertz, Bill (May 24, 2017). "John Rood leads candidates for Pentagon policy chief". Washington Times. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "Trump picks Lockheed executive Rood for top Pentagon policy post". Reuters. October 11, 2017. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
| Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security
|This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|