John Rous, 2nd Earl of Stradbroke
|John Edward Cornwallis Rous
2nd Earl of Stradbroke
13 March 1794|
|Died||27 January 1886
Henham Park, Suffolk
|Years of service||1810–1821|
|Relations||Admiral Henry John Rous (brother)|
During the Peninsular War, he took part in the battles of Salamanca, Burgos, Vittoria and San Sebastian. He was present at the crossing of the Bidassoa, at the Nivelle and Nive, the crossing of the Ardour and the invasion of Bayonne. On 4 May 1814 he was promoted to Lieutenant.
Rous returned to the family estate, Henham Park, for 12 months leave, but was ordered to rejoin his regiment in Brussels following Napoleon's escape from Elba in March 1815. While serving in Wellington's campaign in Belgium, Rous was wounded at Quatre Bras and so did not take part in Napoleon's defeat two days later at Waterloo.
After the death his father in August 1827 he became the 2nd Earl of Stradbroke. He pursued an active life as a peer and politician, also serving as the Colonel of the East Suffolk Regiment of Militia from 24 May 1830 to 1844, and as Lord Lieutenant and the Vice-Admiral of Suffolk, 1844–1886.
On 26 May 1857 he married Augusta Bonham (1830–1901), the widow of Colonel Henry Frederick Bonham, and the daughter of the Reverend Sir Christopher John Musgrave, 9th Bt., by whom he had six children:
- Lady Augusta Fanny Rous (1858–1950)
- Lady Sophia Evelyn Rous (1859–1940)
- George Edward John Mowbray Rous, 3rd Earl of Stradbroke (1862–1947)
- Lady Adela Charlotte Rous (1865–1911)
- Lady Hilda Maud Rous (1867–1904)
- Lady Gwendoline Audrey Adeline Brudenell Rous (1869–1952)
Augusta, Countess of Stradbroke died suddenly, during a visit to her daughter Lady Hilda McNeill, 10 October 1901.
- Rous, John (1992). Fletcher, Ian, ed. A Guards Officer in the Peninsula: the Peninsular War Letters of John Rous, Coldstream Guards, 1812–1814. Tunbridge Wells, UK: Spellmount. ISBN 1-873376-09-X.
- Jenkins, Nicholas (2013). "John Edward Cornwallis Rous 2nd Earl of Stradbroke". stanford.edu. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "no. 16382". The London Gazette. 26 June 1810. p. 938.
- "The Rous Family History". henhampark.com. 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "no. 16897". The London Gazette. 10 May 1814. p. 985.
- "no. 17309". The London Gazette. 29 November 1817. p. 2416.
- "Stradbroke, Earl of". cracroftspeerage.co.uk. 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Jenkins, Nicholas (2013). "John Rous 1st Earl of Stradbroke". stanford.edu. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "no. 18688". The London Gazette. 8 June 1830. p. 1127.
- Jenkins, Nicholas (2013). "Augusta Musgrave". stanford.edu. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Obituaries - Augusta, Countess of Stradbroke". The Times (36584). London. 12 October 1901. p. 9.
The Duke of Grafton
|Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk
The Marquess of Bristol
Title last held byThe Marquess of Hertford
|Vice-Admiral of Suffolk
Title next held byThe Earl of Stradbroke
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Stradbroke