John Russell (Irish footballer)
|Full name||John Russell|
|Date of birth||18 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Galway, Ireland|
|Height||1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|2012–2013||St Patrick's Athletic||47||(6)|
|Republic of Ireland U19|
|2011||League of Ireland XI||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 08:59, 11 March 2017 (UTC)
John Russell (born 18 May 1985), is an Irish footballer who plays for Sligo Rovers in the League of Ireland. John's sister Julie-Ann plays for UCD Waves. John is also the FAI Development Officer for Sligo.
Russell started his League of Ireland football career with Galway United where he spent his first seasons as a player but in 2006 he left the club after three seasons at Terryland Park.
Russell re-signed for Galway United for the 2007 season and he spent a further three seasons at the club.
For the 2010 season Russell signed for Sligo Rovers. He became an important part of the Sligo's side, becoming one of the most impressive performers of the 2010 campaign. Russell started the 2010 FAI Cup Final against Shamrock Rovers. The game finished 0–0 (AET) but Sligo won the final on penalties. In total in his first season at Sligo he made twenty league appearances scoring three times. Russell signed back again for the 2011 season where he made thirty-four appearances scoring four times for The Bit O'Red. Russell started the 2011 FAI Cup Final against Shelbourne. The game finished 1–1 (AET) but Sligo won the cup again on penalties for the second year in a row.
Russell Left Sligo Rovers shorty after.
In 2014 Russell re-signed with Sligo Rovers.
St Patrick's Athletic
On 20 January 2012, Russell signed for Dublin side St Patrick's Athletic and was giving the number 18 jersey. Buckley spoke to stpatsfc.com about the signing the Galway native:“John is a very exciting, attacking player who will fit in with the way we will play this season. He has been excellent for Sligo over the past two seasons and we're delighted to get him on board”. He hit the post and was later sent off after a questionable decision against Cliftonville in the Setanta Cup Russell started the season off well, scoring away to Dundalk at Oriel Park, scoring the second goal in the 5–1 thumping of rivals Shamrock Rovers and setting up Chris Fagan to make it 4–1 in the same game. Russell picked up the RTÉ Man of the Match award for his superb assist of Sean O'Connor's goal and an excellent energetic performance away to his old club Sligo Rovers. Russell missed a penalty in a Europa League game against NK Široki Brijeg from Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Stadion Pecara, but just 2 minutes later he set up Christy Fagan to open the scoring. Fagan returned the favour in the second leg when he set Russell up to open the scoring in a 2–1 after extra-time to earn a tie with German culb Hannover 96.
Russell has been capped at u19 level for the Republic of Ireland national under-19 football team.
- Sligo Rovers
- St Patrick's Athletic
- "Russell & McCabe get in on sister act". wnl.fai.ie. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "John Russell appointed FAI Development Officer for Sligo". fai.ie. FAI. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- "Sligo Rvrs 0–0 Shamrock Rvrs AET (2–0 penalties)". rte.
- "John Russell signs for 2011". sligorovers.com.ie. Sligo Rovers. 24 January 2011. Archived from the original on 3 December 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Sligo Rovers win FAI Cup after penalty shoot-out". rte.
- "John Russell Signs". stpatsfc.com. St Patrick's Athletic. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Dundalk 0 – 2 St Patrick's Athletic". extratime.ie. extratime. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "About John Russell". Archived from the original on 13 May 2012.
- John Russell at Soccerway