John Ryder, 5th Earl of Harrowby
John Herbert Dudley Ryder, 5th Earl of Harrowby (22 August 1864 – 30 March 1956), briefly known as Viscount Sandon from March to December 1900, was a British peer and Conservative Member of Parliament. Harrowby was the son of Henry Dudley Ryder, 4th Earl of Harrowby, and Susan Juliana Maria Hamilton Dent.
He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was elected to the House of Commons for Gravesend in 1898, a seat he held until 1900 when he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. From 1927-48 he held the honorary post of Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire.
Lord Harrowby married the Hon. Mabel Danvers Smith, daughter of Rt. Hon. William Henry Smith and Emily Danvers, Viscountess Hambleden, in 1887. As a result of her marriage, Mabel Ryder was styled as Countess of Harrowby effective 11 December 1900.
Mabel, Countess of Harrowby, was named Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 1919. She died on 27 March 1956.
He died in March 1956, only three days after his wife, aged 91, and was succeeded in his titles by his sole surviving child, his son, Dudley.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Profile of Mabel Ryder, Countess of Harrowby, DBE
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Harrowby
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
James Dampier Palmer
|Member of Parliament for Gravesend
Sir Gilbert Parker
|President of the University College of North Staffordshire
HRH The Princess Margaret
The Earl of Dartmouth
|Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Henry Dudley Ryder
|Earl of Harrowby