|Bishop of Winchester|
|Elected||26 July 1316|
|Term ended||2 November 1319|
|Successor||Rigaud of Assier|
|Consecration||31 October 1316|
|Died||2 November 1319|
John Sandale (or Sandall) was a Gascon medieval Lord High Treasurer, Lord Chancellor and Bishop of Winchester.
Sandale inherited the manor of Wheatley within Long Sandale, Yorkshire and was granted Free warren in 1301. He also held the manor of Great Coates, Lincolnshire and was granted free warren there in 1313.
Sandale was a canon of Lincoln and St. Paul's and provost of Wells before being appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1307 on the accession of Edward II. He was dismissed the following year for political reasons.
Sandale served as Warden of the Mint from 1298 to 1305, as Lord High Treasurer from 1310 to 1311 and as acting treasurer from 1312 to 1314. He later became Lord Chancellor on 26 September 1314, holding the office until 11 June 1318.
A pluralist, Sandale was at one time chancellor of St Patrick's, Dublin, treasurer of Lichfield, and dean of St Paul's with prebends in Dublin, Beverley, Wells, Lincoln, London, York, and Glasgow, as well as ten rectories from Chalk in Kent to Dunbar in Scotland. He was elected to the see of Winchester 26 July 1316 and consecrated on 31 October 1316. And he was master of the hospital of St Katharine's by the Tower in 1315.
- "Sandale, John (c.1274–1319)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/24611. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Craig, John. The Mint: A History of the London Mint from A.D. 287 to 1948. Google Books. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 104
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 86
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 277
- Dugdale Monasticon Anglicanum p. 695
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Haynes, Roy Martin. "Sandale, John (c.1274–1319), administrator and bishop of Winchester". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/24611. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: "Sandale, John de". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
| Lord High Treasurer
| Lord High Treasurer|
| Lord Chancellor
| Lord High Treasurer
|Catholic Church titles|
| Bishop of Winchester
Rigaud of Assier