John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset
The Duke of Somerset
Bt DL FRICS
Portrait by Allan Warren
|Member of the House of Lords|
10 December 2014
as an excepted hereditary peer
|Preceded by||The Lord Cobbold|
15 November 1984 – 11 November 1999
as a hereditary peer
|Preceded by||Percy Seymour, 18th Duke of Somerset|
|Succeeded by||House of Lords Act 1999|
|Born||John Michael Edward Seymour
30 December 1952
Bath, Somerset, UK
|Spouse(s)||Judith-Rose née Hull, Duchess of Somerset|
|Children||Sebastian, Lord Seymour
Lady Sophia Seymour
Lady Henrietta Seymour
Lord Charles Seymour
|Parents||Percy Seymour, 18th Duke of Somerset
Jane née Thomas, Dowager Duchess of Somerset
|Residence||Maiden Bradley House, Wiltshire|
|Other titles||Baron Seymour|
John Michael Edward Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset, DL FRICS (born 30 December 1952), styled Lord Seymour between 1954 and 1984, is a British aristocratic landowner in Wiltshire and Devon, and a member of the House of Lords.
Educated at Hawtreys and Eton College, he qualified as a chartered surveyor before succeeding to the dukedom in 1984 on the death of his father. Having lost his seat in the House of Lords under the House of Lords Act 1999, he was elected at the December 2014 House of Lords By-election, to sit as a Crossbencher in the Upper House.
The present Duke is the son of Percy Seymour, 18th Duke of Somerset, and Jane, Dowager Duchess of Somerset (née Thomas, died 2005). His paternal grandmother, Edith Mary Parker, was a daughter of William Parker and Lucinda Steeves, daughter of William Steeves, one of the Fathers of Canadian Confederation.
He married at All Saints' Church, Maiden Bradley, on 20 May 1978, Judith-Rose Hull, daughter of John Folliott Hull; the Duke and Duchess have four children:
- Sebastian Edward, Lord Seymour (b. Queen Charlotte's Hospital, London, 3 February 1982), m. 27 Aug 2006 Arlette Marie Léontine, daughter of Daniel Lafayeedney, of La Grasse, France divorced 2011
- Lady Sophia Rose Seymour (b. 1987)
- Lady Henrietta Charlotte Seymour (b. 1989)
- Lord Charles Thomas George Seymour (b. 1992).
Titles, styles and arms
Titles and styles
- 30 December 1952 - 26 April 1954: The Honourable John Seymour
- 26 April 1954 - 15 November 1984: Lord Seymour
- 15 November 1984 - present: His Grace The Duke of Somerset
|Ancestors of John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset|
- ‘SOMERSET, 19th Duke of’, in Who's Who 2012 (A. & C. Black, 2012); online edition (subscription required) by Oxford University Press, December 2011, accessed 8 December 2011
- "Crossbench Hereditary Peers' By-Election, December 2014" (PDF). Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Mosley, Charles (ed.) (2003). Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 107th edn. London: Burke's Peerage & Gentry Ltd. p. 3678 (SOMERSET, D). ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- "Totnes' Great Court Farm plans get the go-ahead despite demo". Torquay Herald Express. 14 January 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Burke's Peerage & Baronetage
- Cracroft's Peerage online
- The Duke of Somerset, Obituary in The Times, Saturday, 17 November 1984
- Ducal house of Somerset
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Somerset
- John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Somerset
1984 – present
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Norfolk
The Duke of Somerset
The Duke of Richmond