This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Shifflett playing Double Bass at the Cafe Stritch in San Jose, California
|Born||March 22, 1953|
|Died||April 27, 2017 (aged 64)|
San Jose, California
|Occupation(s)||Musician, arranger, educator|
|Instruments||Double bass, Bass guitar|
John M Shifflett (March 22, 1953 – April 27, 2017) was an American jazz musician, player of the double bass and also an arranger, composer, and educator, with his last teaching job at San Jose State University.
Shifflett was born in Dubuque, Iowa, attended High-School at Dubuque where he played trombone and began playing bass (see at Sing Out Dubuque, John Shifflett playing his own composition on bass, January 8th 1971), and graduated in 1976 with a BS degree from Iowa State University. While at the University of Iowa, where he was working on a master's degree, Shifflett was its big band and its jazz combo bass player, appearing at festivals such as the Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festivals in April 1979 and in March 1980.
Shifflett moved to San Jose in 1987, as his wife Bethany was offered a tenure-track position at San Jose State University.
Shifflett played in several notable acts, including Frankie Avalon, the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, the American Musical Theatre of San Jose, Dinah Shore, Mel Torme, Jerry Lewis, Dionne Warwick and the Smothers Brothers.
With Anton Schwartz
- 2014: Flash Mob (Double bass)
- 2008: Radiant Blue (Double bass)
- 2000: The Slow Lane (Double bass)
- 1998: When Music Calls (Double bass)
With Audrey Martin
- 2014: Living Room (Double bass)
With Gabriela Mendes
- 2012: Um Renovo Musical (Double bass)
With Jim Norton Collective
- 2013: TIME REMEMBERED: COMPOSITIONS OF BILL EVANS (Double bass)
With John Stowell/Michael Zilber
- 2015: Basement Blues (Double bass)
- 2012: Live Beauty (Double bass)
- 2009: SHOT THROUGH WITH BEAUTY (Double bass)
With Christian Tamburr
- 2011: Places (Double Bass)
With Juliet Green
With Larry Dunlap
- 2002: Fly With My Love (Double bass)
With Kristen Strom
With Aaron Lington Quintet
- 2005: Cape Breton (Double bass)
With Laurie Antonioli
With Michael Zilber
- 2010: BILLY COLLINS PROJECT: ELEVEN ON TURNING TEN (Double bass)
With Michael Zilber and Dave Liebman
- 2003: Live At The Jazzschool (Double bass)
- 1999: NLS Trio (Double bass)
With Paul Tynan & Aaron Lington
- 2010: BICOASTAL COLLECTIVE: CHAPTER TWO (Double bass)
- 2009: BICOASTAL COLLECTIVE: CHAPTER ONE (Double bass)
With Patrick Cress' Telepathy
- 2005: Meditation, Realization (Double bass)
With Sandra Marlowe
With Scott Sorkin
With Thomas G. Leslie/ UNLV Wind Orchestra
- 2013: Lost Vegas (Double bass)
- "John Shifflett". San Jose State University. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- Gilbert, Andrew (1 May 2017). "John Shifflett, popular San Jose jazz musician and teacher, dies at age 64". The Mercury News. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Iowa State Music Alumni". Iowa State University.
- "Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival Program, 1979" (PDF). University of Notre Dame.
- "Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival Program, 1980" (PDF). University of Notre Dame.
- "OA2 ARTIST JOHN SHIFFLETT". OA2 Records. Retrieved 30 April 2017.