|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
He was then a teacher (Physical Education, Mathematics, General Studies) from 1982 in several areas of the UK - Crewe, Tamworth, Knowsley before returning to teach in Douglas (St Ninian’s High School) where he was also Head of Year from 1989-96  until entering politics.
Shimmin was elected as MHK for Douglas West in 1996 at his first attempt.
In November 2006 he was re-elected into Tynwald, alongside Geoff Corkish in West Douglas.
He remained Minister of Economic Development of the Isle of Man Government until, following questions in regards to the Isle of Man Government's handling of the loans to the Manx-based Sefton Group, he resigned his ministerial post .
Following 20 years of service, Shimmin chose not to contest his seat at the 2016 General Election  and subsequently stood down from politics (along with fellow long-standing members Allan Bell and Eddie Teare).
- Minister of Policy and Reform, 2015 - 2016
- Minister of Economic Development, 2011–2014
- Minister of Environment, Food and Agriculture, 2010 - 2011
- Minister of Local Government and the Environment, 2006–2010
- Minister of Home Affairs, 2005–2006
- Minister of Transport, 2002–2005
- Chairman of the Isle of Man Post Office, 1999–2002
Shimmin has been married to wife Maureen (née O'Hara) since 1986. He has two sons.
- "Department Line-ups Announced". Isle of Man Today. 22 December 2006. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-09-06. Retrieved 2014-06-23.