John W. Shrader (born circa 1957) is an American college professor and sports broadcaster, currently working in Southern California. He is Assistant Professor of Journalism and Mass Communication at California State University, Long Beach. He does LA Galaxy soccer play-by-play for Time Warner Cable SportsNet. He did play-by-play of the San Jose Earthquakes for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area and Comcast SportsNet California.
For 15 years, he was a sports anchor and talk show host for KNBR (680 AM), San Francisco, known locally as "The Sports Leader." In addition to his regular duties, Shrader was a sideline reporter for the San Francisco 49ers in 2005. He began his Northern California broadcasting career at KNTV (Channel 11) in San Jose as a weekend sports anchor before becoming the weekday sports anchor at KICU (Channel 36) in the same city. He started his broadcast career as a sportscaster and news reporter at NTV Network, KHGI-TV, in Kearney, Nebraska, and was also Sports Director of KHAS-TV in Hasting, Nebraska.
For nearly a decade, Shrader was the radio voice of San Jose State University sports. In 1988 and 1989, Shrader was on the television broadcast crew for the Oakland Athletics. In 2006, Shrader resigned his position with KNBR after 15 years, citing the new owner's difference of opinion regarding his worth to the station.
Shrader joined play-by-play announcer Randy Hahn and color analyst Drew Remenda on FSN Bay Area (now CSN Bay Area) as the San Jose Sharks intermission host and rink-side reporter for two seasons, beginning in 2007. He won an Emmy in 2009 for his work on a Stanley Cup playoff game.
- The likeness of John Shrader was used in NHL 95 by Electronic Arts. Shrader was used to introduce the games and the starting lineups for the two teams. He replaced the likeness of Ron Barr, who introduced the games in NHLPA Hockey 93 and NHL 94. He also introduces tournaments in PGA Tour III also by Electronic Arts.
- John Shrader lends his voice to the video game NHL 2K9 by Take2 where he appears as the Intermission Host / Rinkside Reporter, and has done so in NHL 2K10 and NHL 2K11 as well.
He does play-by-play commentary for Los Angeles Galaxy on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet. He has also commentated upon college football and high school football on TWC Sportsnet.
- Del Grande, Dave (May 27, 2008). "Shrader steps behind camera". Oakland Tribune. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "John Shrader". California State University, Long Beach. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "Radio partners". San Francisco 49ers. Archived from the original on September 27, 2005.
- "Athletics Broadcasters", MLB.com, accessed May 18, 2006.
- Lynch, Kevin (June 2, 2006). "Smith's comfort level on rise". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "San Jose State University Athletics 2008 Commencement Student-Athlete & Current & Former Staff Participation" (PDF). San Jose State University. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 15, 2015. Retrieved February 15, 2015.