John Smeaton Academy
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ethos and values
As part of United Learning, the academy is committed to an ethos of 'the best in everyone'. This is underpinned by six core values:
- Ambition – to achieve the best for ourselves and others;
- Confidence – to have the courage of our convictions and to take risks in the right cause;
- Creativity – to imagine possibilities and make them real;
- Respect – of ourselves and others in all that we do;
- Enthusiasm – to seek opportunity, find what is good and pursue talents and interests;
- Determination – to overcome obstacles and reach success.
The school became an academy in 2014 and joined multi-academy trust United Learning.
Prior to joining United Learning and converting to an academy, the school was rated 'Inadequate' by Ofsted and placed in Special Measures.
In December 2016, Ofsted inspectors concluded that the school 'Requires Improvement', praising the capacity of leaders to improve further.
In August 2017, 46% of students achieved five or more A*-C grades including 4 or above in English and maths – an increase from the previous year. There were also improvements in the number of students achieving at least a grade 4 – equivalent to the old 'C' grade – in English and maths respectively.
- "United Learning > About Us > Our ethos and values". unitedlearning.org.uk. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "Leeds secondary school blasted by inspectors". The Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "Ofsted report". Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "John Smeaton Academy - GOV.UK - Find and compare schools in England". Find and compare schools in England. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "Students at John Smeaton Academy Celebrate GCSE Results". United Learning. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
|This Yorkshire school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|