He was ordained deacon in 1955, and priest in 1956. He served curacies at Glen Parva and Lee, south-east London He was Vicar of Plumstead from 1962 to 1966; Rector of Old Charlton from 1966 to 1972; Dean of Greenwich from 1968 to 1972; York Diocesan Secretary for Mission and Evangelism from 1972 to 1981;Vicar of Harome 1972 to 1977; and Archdeacon of Cleveland from 1974 to 1984.
While Dean Southgate conducted the service, held in 1988, after the restoration of York Minster, which caught fire in 1984. The Minster was struck by lightning four days before the retirement of the previous dean, Ronald Jasper. Southgate was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of York in 1989.
- http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whowaswho/U182029 Who's Who, accessed 6 July 2008
- New appointments The Archdeacon of Cleveland, the Ven John Southgate, has been appointed Dean of York. The Times (London, England), Wednesday, Sep 05, 1984; pg. 14; Issue 61928
- ‘SOUTHGATE, Very Rev. John Eliot’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920–2016; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014 ; online edn, April 2014]
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995) ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- York Minster Is Back to Life After '84 Fire (1988), The New York Times, New York, viewed 2 May 2008, http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE7DF103DF936A35752C1A96E948260
- Donald Gray (2004). "Jasper, Ronald Claud Dudley (1917–1990)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- The University of York Honorary Graduates - 1966-2004 (2004), University of York, York, UK, viewed 2 May 2008, "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2008-05-02.
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon of Cleveland
Ronald John Woodley
Ronald Claud Dudley Jasper
|Dean of York
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|