John Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough
|John Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough|
|Born||John Albert William Spencer-Churchill
18 September 1897
|Died||11 March 1972
Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, England
|Spouse(s)||The Hon. Alexandra Mary Cadogan
Laura Canfield (née Charteris)
|Issue||Sarah Consuelo Spencer-Churchill
Rosemary Mildred Spencer-Churchill
John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill
Charles George William Colin Spencer-Churchill
|Parents||Charles Spencer-Churchill, 9th Duke of Marlborough
John Albert William Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough, DL (18 September 1897 – 11 March 1972), styled Marquess of Blandford until 1934, was a British military officer and peer.
He was born in London as the first of two sons born to Charles Spencer-Churchill, 9th Duke of Marlborough and his first wife, the former Consuelo Vanderbilt, an American railroad heiress. Prior to inheriting the dukedom in 1934, he was a lieutenant-colonel in the Life Guards. He was Mayor of Woodstock from 1937 to 1942.
Marriages and issue
He married his first wife, the Hon. Alexandra Mary Cadogan (22 February 1900 – 23 May 1961), on 17 February 1920 in London. She was a daughter of Henry Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea, the son and heir of George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan. They had two sons and three daughters:
- Lady Sarah Consuelo Spencer-Churchill (17 December 1921 – 13 October 2000); baptised 17 January 1922 at St Margaret's Westminster; married 14 May 1943 in Westminster Edwin Fariman Russell (July 15, 1914 – December 22, 2001) and had four children: Serena Mary Churchill Russell (born 1944, married Neil Balfour and had issue), Consuelo Sarah Russell (born 1946), Alexandra Brenda Russell (born 1949), and Jacqueline Russell (born 1958); divorced 7 October 1966 in Reno, United States; married secondly 11 November 1966 Guy Burgos Ossa with no issue; divorced in 1967 in Mexico; married thirdly in Philadelphia, 1967 to Theo Roubanis with no issue.
- Lady Caroline Spencer-Churchill (12 November 1923 – 5 January 1992) married 5 December 1946 in Woodstock, Oxfordshire to Major Charles Huguenot Waterhouse (11 June 1918 – 15 July 2007) and had three children: Michael Thomas Waterhouse (born 25 May 1949), Elizabeth Ann Waterhouse (born 24 June 1951), and David Charles Waterhouse (born 8 July 1956).
- John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough (13 April 1926 – 16 October 2014)
- Lady Rosemary Mildred Spencer-Churchill (born 24 July 1929), lady in waiting to Queen Elizabeth II; married 26 June 1953 at Oxford Charles Robert Muir (died 24 March 1972) and had three children: Alexander Pepys Muir (born 8 November 1954), Simon Huntly Muir (born 3 July 1959), and Mary Arabella Muir (born 16 January 1962). Lady Rosemary was one of Queen Elizabeth II’s Maids of Honour at the 1953 Coronation. Her son Alexander is a god-son of Princess Margaret.
- Lord Charles George William Colin Spencer-Churchill (13 July 1940 – 21 December 2016) married firstly 23 July 1965 Gillian Spreckels Fuller (born 1946) (a great-granddaughter of California industrialist and financier John D. Spreckels) with no issue; marriage dissolved in 1968; married secondly 1970 Elizabeth Jane Wyndham (born 17 January 1948) (a great-niece of the interior decorator Nancy Lancaster) and has three children: Rupert John Harold Mark Spencer-Churchill (born 26 November 1971), Dominic Albert Charles Spencer-Churchill (born 1979), and Alexander David Spencer-Churchill (born 9 June 1983).
Six weeks before his death, on 26 January 1972, the Duke married his second wife, (Frances) Laura Canfield née Charteris (London, 10 August 1915 – 1990), the widow of the American publishing heir Michael Temple Canfield (whose first wife had been Caroline Lee Bouvier, the sister of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis). Laura Canfield was the second daughter of the Hon. Guy Lawrence Charteris (23 May 1886 – 21 September 1967), second son of Hugo Charteris, 11th Earl of Wemyss, and his wife Frances Lucy Tennant (November 1887 – 5 November 1925). Laura's older sister, Ann Geraldine Mary Charteris (19 June 1913 – 12 July 1981), married the novelist Ian Fleming. Laura herself was previously married to and divorced from Walter Long, 2nd Viscount Long and William Ward, 3rd Earl of Dudley.
- "Marchioness of Blandford's Infant Daughter Christened".
- "Duke of Marlborough dies". Blenheim Palace.
- English, Rebecca. The Royal Spice Girls reunited! The six women who accompanied Queen Elizabeth II on Coronation Day share memories as they regroup 60 years on in Westminster Abbey, Daily Mail, June 4, 2013. Accessed February 9, 2014.
- "Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Royal Godchildren". Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough
- John Albert William Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough, thepeerage.com
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Marlborough