John Steffler is an award-winning Canadian poet and novelist. He was the Parliamentary Poet Laureate of Canada from 2006 to 2008.
John Steffler was born in Toronto in 1947, and grew up in a rural area near Thornhill, Ontario. He has an M.A. in English (1974) from the University of Guelph. Thesis: "The Origin and Development of Los: a Study of the Prophetic Poetry of William Blake." His B.A. (Honours) in English was from University College, University of Toronto, 1971. Areas of concentration: Nineteenth and Twentieth Century British Literature. Other areas of study: French, European History, Chinese Philosophy, Japanese Literature in Translation.
- An Explanation of Yellow. Ottawa: Borealis Press, 1981.
- The Grey Islands. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1985.
- The Wreckage of Play. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1988.
- That Night We Were Ravenous. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1998.
- The Grey Islands. London, ON: Brick Books, 2000.
- Helix: new and selected poems. Montreal : Signal Editions, 2002.
- The Grey Islands, unabridged audio edition (2007)
- Lookout. Plattsburgh, NY: McClelland and Stewart, 2010. ISBN 978-0-7710-8267-2 (shortlisted for the 2011 Griffin Poetry Prize)
- The Afterlife of George Cartwright. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1992. New York: Henry Holt & Co., 1993.
- German Mills: A Novel Pertaining to the Life and Times of William Berczy. Gaspereau Press, 2015.
- Flights of Magic. Victoria: Press Porcepic, 1987.
- Coastlines: The Poetry of Atlantic Canada, ed. Anne Compton, Laurence Hutchman, Ross Leckie and Robin McGrath (Goose Lane Editions, 2002)
Except where noted, bibliographical information courtesy Canadian Poetry Online.
- Search results: John Steffler, Open Library, Web, May 10, 2011.
- "John Steffler: Publications," Canadian Poetry Online, UToronto.ca, Web, May 10, 2011.
- Canadian Poetry Online: John Steffler - Biography and 6 poems (Collecting, Bay of Islands, 1998; The Green Insect; Invited In; Work; March 22; That Night We Were Ravenous)
- John Steffler at the Parliament of Canada website
- John Steffler on the University of Toronto Library Canadian Poets List
- Griffin Poetry Prize biography of John Steffler, including video clip
- "At the Foot of a Wall" from That Night We Were Ravenous, online at CBC Words at Large
- John Steffler speaks about his appointment as Canada's Parliamentary Poet Laureate, online at CBC Words at Large (audio)
|Parliamentary Poet Laureate