||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|John David Sterman|
|Institutions||MIT, New England Complex Systems Institute|
|Alma mater||MIT Ph.D, 1982
|Known for||Business Dynamics: Systems thinking and modeling for a complex world|
|Notable awards||Jay W. Forrester Prize|
John David Sterman is the Jay W. Forrester Professor of Management, and the current director of the MIT System Dynamics Group at the MIT Sloan School of Management. He is also co-faculty at the New England Complex Systems Institute. He is mostly considered as the current leader of the System Dynamics school of thought. He is the author of "Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World".
Prof. Sterman has twice been awarded the Jay W. Forrester Prize for the best published work in system dynamics, won an IBM Faculty Award, won the Accenture Award for the best paper of the year published in the California Management Review, has seven times won awards for teaching excellence, and was named one of the MIT Sloan School's "Outstanding Faculty" by the Business Week Guide to the Best Business Schools. He has been featured on public television's News Hour, National Public Radio's Marketplace, CBC television, Fortune, the Financial Times, Business Week, and other media for his research and innovative use of interactive simulations in management education and policymaking.
His research focuses on improving managerial decision making in complex systems. He has pioneered so-called "management flight simulators" used for learning to manage the complexity of corporate and economic systems.
John Sterman has written a few books and several articles. A selection:
- 1994. Modeling for learning organizations. Edited with John D. W. Morecroft
- 2000. Business Dynamics: Systems thinking and modeling for a complex world. McGraw Hill.
- E. Cabell Brand (2010). If not me, then who? : how you can help with poverty, economic opportunity, education,... [S.l.]: Iuniverse Inc. p. 68. ISBN 978-1-936236-12-1. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- Walsh, Bryan (28 October 2008). "What the Public Doesn't Get About Climate Change". Time. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- MIT Faculty Description of Prof. Sterman's honors
- MIT page (including several published articles on system dynamics
- Video clip of Sterman speaking at the Fourth International Conference on Complex Systems
- John Sterman's video lecture "Systems Methodologies for Solving Real-World Problems: Applications in Public Health", held on March 22, 2007
- John Sterman's video lecture "Why Bad Things Happen to Good Technologies"
- Article on Time Magazine citing John Sterman "What the Public Doesn't Get About Climate Change"