12 August 1942 |
|Institutions||1970 until 2001: Monash University
2002 to date: University of San Francisco
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Ph.D,1970)
|Doctoral advisor||Hartley Rogers, Jr|
|Notable awards||Chauvenet Prize (2005)|
He was born in Melbourne, Australia and lived there until he went to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for his doctorate. He received his PhD from MIT in 1970, working under Hartley Rogers, Jr. From 1970 until 2001 he taught at Monash University back in Australia and in 2002 began teaching in San Francisco.
In 2005, Stillwell was the recipient of the Mathematical Association of America's prestigious Chauvenet Prize for his article “The Story of the 120-Cell,” Notices of the AMS, January 2001, pp. 17–24. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Stillwell is the author of many textbooks and other books on mathematics including:
- Classical Topology and Combinatorial Group Theory, 1980, ISBN 0-387-97970-0
- Mathematics and Its History, 1989, 3rd edition 2010, ISBN 0-387-95336-1
- Geometry of Surfaces, 1992, ISBN 0-387-97743-0
- Elements of Algebra: Geometry, Numbers, Equations, 1994, ISBN 0-387-94290-4
- Numbers and Geometry, 1998, ISBN 0-387-98289-2
- Elements of Number Theory, 2003, ISBN 0-387-95587-9
- The Four Pillars of Geometry, 2005, ISBN 0-387-25530-3
- Yearning for the Impossible: The Surprising Truths of Mathematics, 2006, ISBN 1-56881-254-X
- Winner of the 2009 Alpha Sigma Nu Book Award
- Awarded by Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities
- "The word problem and the isomorphism problem for groups". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 6 (1): 33–56. 1982. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1982-14963-1. MR 634433.
- "Efficient computations in groups and simplicial complexes". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 276 (2): 715–727. 1983. doi:10.1090/s0002-9947-1983-0688973-8. MR 688973.
- with A. Lenard: "An algorithmically unsolvable problem in analysis". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 88 (1): 129–130. 1983. doi:10.1090/s0002-9939-1983-0691292-2. MR 691292.
- "The occurrence problem for mapping class groups". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 101 (3): 411–416. 1987. doi:10.1090/s0002-9939-1987-0908639-5. MR 908639.
- "Poincaré and the early history of 3-manifolds" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 49 (4): 555–576. 2012. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-2012-01385-x.
- Profile at University of San Francisco
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Story of the 120-Cell
- MAA awards page
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-08-05.
- Biss, Daniel (June–July 2007). "Review: Yearning for the Impossible, by John Stillwell" (PDF). Notices of the AMS 54 (6): 722–723.
- "Past Winners of Alpha Sigma Nu Book Awards (1979 - 2012)" (PDF). Alpha Sigma Nu. 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
|This Australian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|