John Stratford, 1st Earl of Aldborough
Born at Ormond[disambiguation needed], he was the son of Edward Stratford and his first wife Elizabeth Baisley, daughter of Euseby Baisley of Ricketstown, Rathvilly, County Carlow. He was a descendant of the English Stratford family and was educated at Kilkenny College and at Trinity College, Dublin.
In 1717, he entered the Irish House of Commons for Baltinglass. Stratford sat for it until 1763, when he was raised to the Peerage of Ireland as Baron Baltinglass, of Baltinglass, in the County of Wicklow. In 1776, he was advanced to the dignity of Viscount Aldborough, of the Palatinate of Upper Ormond. and on 28 January 1777, Stratford was further honoured when he became Viscount Amiens and Earl of Aldborough, of the Palatinate of Upper Ormond.
He ambitiously planned a new town of Stratford-on-Slaney, that failed in the 1840s.
He married Martha O'Neale, daughter of Venerable Benjamin O'Neale, Archdeacon of Leighlin. They had six sons and nine daughters. Stratford was succeeded in his titles successively by his oldest son Edward, his second son John and then his fourth son Benjamin.
- "Leigh Rayment — Peerage". Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "ThePeerage — John Stratford, 1st Earl of Aldborough". Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Stratford, Gerald "A History of the Stratford Family" Chapter 11. The Extinct Earldom. 
- "Leigh Rayment — Irish House of Commons 1692-1800". Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "No. 10311". The London Gazette. 7 May 1763. p. 1.
- "No. 11679". The London Gazette. 29 June 1776. p. 1.
- "No. 11739". The London Gazette. 25 January 1777. p. 1.
- Lodge, John (1789). Mervyn Archdall, ed. The Peerage of Ireland or A Genealogical History of the Present Nobility of that Kingdom. vol. III. Dublin: James Moore. pp. 337–339.
- Debrett, John (1828). Debrett's Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. vol. II (17th ed.). London: G. Woodfall. p. 686.
|Parliament of Ireland|
|Member of Parliament for Baltinglass
With: Edward Stratford 1721–1727
Daniel Falkiner 1727–1759
Edward Stratford 1759–1763
Hon. John Stratford
Hon. Edward Stratford
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation||Earl of Aldborough