John Stratford, 1st Earl of Aldborough
John was born either in 10 August 1697, or in 1698 at Ormond. He was the son of Edward Stratford and his first wife Elizabeth Baisley, daughter of Euseby Baisley of Ricketstown, Rathvilly, County Carlow. He was a descendant of the English House of Stratford. He matriculated at Trinity College, Dublin on 8 May 1716.
Stratford sat for Baltinglass until 21 May 1763, when he was raised to the Peerage of Ireland as Baron Baltinglass, of Baltinglass, in the County of Wicklow. On 22 July 1776, he was advanced to the dignity of Viscount Aldborough, of Belan, County Kildare or the Palatinate of Upper Ormond, part of a series of promotions carried out by Earl Harcourt, the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, to secure support for the British ministry in the Parliament of Ireland. and on 9 February 1777, Stratford was further honoured when he became Viscount Amiens and Earl of Aldborough, of the Palatinate of Upper Ormond. The title of "Viscount Amiens" was apparently adapted on the strength of a fictitious pedigree detailing Stratford's descent from a companion of William the Conqueror originating in Amiens.
He married Martha O'Neale, daughter of Venerable Benjamin O'Neale, Archdeacon of Leighlin. They had six sons and nine daughters. Stratford was succeeded in his titles successively by his oldest son Edward, his second son John and then his fourth son Benjamin.
- "Leigh Rayment — Peerage". Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Stratford, Gerald "A History of the Stratford Family" Chapter 11. The Extinct Earldom. 
- Cokayne 1910, p. 98.
- Cokayne 1998, p. 13.
- "Leigh Rayment — Irish House of Commons 1692-1800". Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "No. 10311". The London Gazette. 7 May 1763. p. 1.
- "No. 11679". The London Gazette. 29 June 1776. p. 1.
- Beckett, J. C. (2011). The Making of Modern Ireland 1603-1923. Faber & Faber.
- "No. 11739". The London Gazette. 25 January 1777. p. 1.
- Cokayne 1910, pp. 98–99.
- Lodge, John (1789). Mervyn Archdall, ed. The Peerage of Ireland or A Genealogical History of the Present Nobility of that Kingdom. vol. III. Dublin: James Moore. pp. 337–339.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 99.
- Cokayne, George E. (1910). Gibbs, Vicary, ed. The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct, or dormant. I, Ab-Adam to Basing. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 98–101.
- Cokayne, George E. (1998). Hammond, Peter W., ed. The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct, or dormant. XIV, Addenda and Corrigenda. London: St. Catherine Press. p. 18.
|Parliament of Ireland|
| Member of Parliament for Baltinglass
With: Edward Stratford 1721–1727
Daniel Falkiner 1727–1759
Edward Stratford 1759–1763
Hon. John Stratford
Hon. Edward Stratford
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation|| Earl of Aldborough
| Viscount Aldborough|
| Baron Baltinglass|