John T. Edge
|John T. Edge|
|Occupation||Writer, Commentator, and Director of the Southern Foodways Alliance|
|Subject||American food, history of American food|
|Notable awards||2012 MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award from the James Beard Foundation|
John T. Edge is a writer, commentator, and, since its founding in 1999, director of the Southern Foodways Alliance, an institute of the Center for the Study of Southern Culture at the University of Mississippi. Every October, the Southern Foodways Alliance sponsors a symposium in Oxford, Mississippi, on southern food. Edge is one the primary organizers and the master of ceremonies for the many events, which attract several hundred attendees. The SFA also engages in oral history work, makes films, and stages other events. Edge also writes for the Oxford American and the New York Times, and has written for Garden & Gun and Afar. He is currently writing The Potlikker Papers, a personal history of Southern food.
Books and appearances
Edge has authored numerous books detailing how America eats, including, Fried Chicken: An American Story, Apple Pie: An American Story, Southern Belly, and The Truck Food Cookbook. Edge has been a regular contributor for the weekend edition of NPR's All Things Considered and has appeared on various television shows including CBS Sunday Morning and Iron Chef.
- Edge, John T. The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 Recipes and Ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels. Workman, 2012. ISBN 978-0761156161
- Edge, John T. and Roahen, Sara, editors. The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook UGA Press, 2010. ISBN 978-0820332758
- Edge, John T. Southern Belly: The Ultimate Food Lovers Companion to the American South. 2012. ISBN 978-1565125476.
- Edge, John T. Donuts: An American Passion. Putnam Adult, 2006. ISBN 0-399-15358-6.
- Edge, John T. Fried Chicken: An American Story. Putnam Adult, 2004. ISBN 0-399-15183-4.
- Edge, John T. Hamburgers and Fries. ISBN 0-399-15274-1.
- Edge, John T. Apple Pie: An American Story. Putnam Adult, 2004. ISBN 0-399-15215-6.
- Edge, John T. and Hobbs, Blair. Southern Belly: The Ultimate Food Lover's Guide to the South. Hill Street Press, 2002. ISBN 1-892514-65-6.
- Edge, John T. A Gracious Plenty. HP Trade, 2002. ISBN 1-55788-388-2
- "University of Mississippi: Employee Profile: John T. Edge". University of Mississippi. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Southern Foodways Alliance: Staff". Southern Foodways Alliance. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- Shah, Khushbu (15 Jul 2014). "John T. Edge Lands Deal to Publish New Book". Eater (Vox Media). Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- [dead link]