|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
John Tabatabai is a Welsh professional poker player (Lisvane, Cardiff) based in London, England. He was the runner-up to Norwegian poker player Annette Obrestad in the first World Series of Poker Europe Main Event.
Early chess career
Before embarking on a professional poker playing career, Tabatabai was a chess player. He represented Wales in numerous international competitions as a junior.
World Series of Poker Europe
In the final hand Annette Obrestad had a slight chip lead with 3,851,000 over Tabatabai with 3,381,000. In the small blind flat, called Obrestad's big blind, Obrestad raised the pot from 68,000 to 138,000. Tabatabai flat called the preflop raise which brought the pot to 208,000. The flop was and Obrestad lead out with a 250,000 bet, bringing the pot to 458,000. Tabatabai re-raised an additional 750,000. Obrestad then went all-in, which was called by Tabatabai who had flopped two pair with , however Obrestad had flopped top set with . Tabatabai was in need of two running cards (fives or sixes) to win the hand or two running cards for a straight; the turn brought the , securing Obrestad the win. The irrelevant river card was the .
In March 2008 John Tabatabai won the 12th All Africa Poker Tournament collecting the one million Rand ($127,584) pot.
In January 2009, John won the $5,000au heads up event in Australia for $120,000au.
- Butt, Robert. "£10,000 No Limit Hold'em - Main Event". TheHendonMob.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- Deal or no deal? by Robert Blincoe, thegoodgamblingguide.co.uk 19 July 2008. Archive here.
- Pitt, Matthew. "Best of British: Betfair Pro John Tabatabai". betfair.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- "Britain's John Tabatabai Wins All Africa Poker Champs | PokerNews". Uk.pokernews.com. 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "John Tabatabai wins Heads Up Championship, What Obama could mean for UK players and more | PokerNews". Uk.pokernews.com. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Butt, Robert. "John Tabatabai - Stats". TheHendonMob.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- World Series of Poker Earnings Archived 2009-08-09 at the Wayback Machine, worldseriesofpoker.com