|Born||John August Taffin
May 2, 1939
|Occupation||Teacher, author, Firearms enthusiast|
|Home town||Boise, Idaho|
|Spouse(s)||Dorothy Mae Taffin|
John August Taffin (born May 2, 1939) is an American author from Boise, Idaho who writes several columns for gun magazines including Guns, Gun Digest, Sixgunner, Shoot! and American Handgunner. A former math teacher from 1964-1995, Taffin is regarded as an authority on single-action revolvers, handloading, handgun hunting, big-bore revolvers, and metallic silhouette shooting. Taffin has authored five books and over 500 published articles. His monthly published gun columns include: Siluetas, Campfire Tales, The Sixgunner, and Taffin Tests.
Taffin's influences on his writing style were Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton. His first article appeared in the November 1967 edition of GUNsport. He wrote several other articles for the magazine until it ceased publication in 1969. Taffin went on to write for JD Jones's newsletter for Handgun Hunters International called The Sixgunner and Elgin Gates's newsletter for International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association (IHMSA) titled The Silhouette in 1979. Taffin's first article for Guns magazine appeared in the December 1983 issue and in May 1984 he became a staff writer for the publication. In 1985, he became a staff writer for their sister publication: American Handgunner.
- Taffin, John (1997). Big Bore Sixguns. Iola, Wisconsin: KPI. ISBN 978-0-87341-502-6.
- Taffin, John (1999). Action Shooting Cowboy Style. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause. ISBN 978-0-87341-792-1.
- Taffin, John (2002). Big Bore Handguns. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause. ISBN 978-0-87349-463-2.
- Taffin, John (2006). The Gun Digest Book of the. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest. ISBN 978-0-89689-416-7.
- Taffin, John (2005). Single Action Sixguns. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause. ISBN 978-0-87349-953-8.
- Ayoob, Massad (2010). "Smith & Wesson's Classic Model 27 – Part I". Gun Digest. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
Such late 20th century experts as John Taffin
- Ayoob, Massad (2010). Massad Ayoob's Greatest Handguns of the World. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest Books. p. 88. ISBN 978-1-4402-0825-6.
My old friend John Taffin is a connoisseur nonpareil of the revolver.
- Ramage, Ken (2008). Guns Illustrated 2008. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause. p. ii. ISBN 978-0-89689-533-1.
Guns Illustrated 2008 is as up-to-date as it gets, with authoritative test reports from experts including John Taffin.
- James, Frank (2004). Effective Handgun Defense: A Comprehensive Guide to Concealed Carry. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause. p. 54. ISBN 978-0-87349-899-9.
nationally known handgun expert John Taffin brings the lore of the Wild West to the era of modern times.
- Huntington, Roy (2008). "Elmer Keith museum is open! Cabela's in Boise, new home". American Handgunner. 29 (3): 127.
- Taffin, John (1967). "44 X 4 equals FUN" (11): 26.
- Gates, Elgin (1988). The Gun Digest Book Of Metallic Silhouette Shooting (2 ed.). DBI. ISBN 978-0-695-81273-7.
- Taffin, John (1985). "John Linebaugh's Custom 45 Long Colts". American Handgunner. 9 (1).