John Templeton Jr.
|John Templeton Jr.|
|Born||John Marks Templeton Jr.
February 19, 1940
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||May 16, 2015
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||Yale University, Harvard Medical School|
|Employer||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia|
|Organization||John Templeton Foundation|
John Marks Templeton Jr. (February 19, 1940 – May 16, 2015), also known as Jack Templeton, was an American medical doctor. The elder son of Judith (née Folk) Templeton and investor, businessman and philanthropist Sir John Templeton, Jack Templeton served as the Chairman and President of the John Templeton Foundation.
He was born in New York City and graduated from Yale University, where he was a member of Elihu senior society, as was his father. He later earned a medical degree at Harvard Medical School, and then served as a physician in the U.S. Navy. In 1977, he went to work at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as a pediatric surgeon and trauma program director.
Templeton was an evangelical Christian. The Templeton Honors College at Eastern University is named in his honor. He was a substantial contributor to conservative causes. In 2008, he donated $450,000 to the National Organization for Marriage, and his wife, Josephine, contributed $100,000. In 2009, he donated $300,000, again to the National Organization For Marriage. In a Philadelphia Inquirer article it was asserted that the Templetons had, between John and his wife, Josephine, donated $1 million to parties opposing same-sex marriage.
Templeton died on May 16, 2015 from brain cancer in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. Survivors include his wife, Josephine Gargiulo Templeton, whom he married in 1970; two daughters, Heather Dill and Jennifer Simpson; a brother; and six grandchildren.
- "$1 million for their own two cents Bryn Mawr couple are largest individual donors in efforts to ban gay marriage in California.". philly-archives.
- Campaign Finance: National Organization For Marriage California, Sponsored By National Organization For Marriage - 2007-2008 cycle, California Secretary of State
- "Gay marriage opponents reveal donors from 2009 Maine campaign". Portland Press Herald. August 24, 2015. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- Roarty, Alex; Sean Coit (January 2010). "Pennsylvania Influencers" (PDF). Politics Magazine. pp. 44–49. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-02-08.
- Death of John Templeton Jr. at age 75, washingtonpost.com; accessed May 22, 2015.
- Jack Templeton dies at age 75, worldmag.com, May 19, 2015; accessed May 22, 2015.