John Treacy Egan
|Born||July 10, 1962|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||SUNY Purchase|
Egan first appeared off-Broadway in When Pigs Fly at the Douglas Fairbanks Theater in 1996. In 1997 Egan made his Broadway debut in Jekyll & Hyde, playing the roles of Groom and Mike while understudying Utterson, Glossop, and the Bishop. He is also in the film version Broadway Television Networks/Atlantic Recordings.
In 2001, Egan was in the Off-Broadway show Bat Boy: The Musical. Also in 2001, Egan appeared as Hortensio in Kiss Me, Kate at the Shubert Theatre in Los Angeles. Egan then starred in the musical The Producers. He played Franz Liebkind from May 2002 to April 2003 and then took over the role of Roger De Bris from April to October. He returned to the show a year later, playing Max Bialystock for one week in December 2004.
On November 1, 2005, he officially took over the role of Max, and he played the role through the end of the Broadway run in 2007 (except for a break of several months in 2006, in which sitcom star Tony Danza assumed the role). He is currently the only actor to have played three principal roles in the musical. Egan was also in the 2005 film The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, as First Nighter. Egan appeared with Josh Groban in the Actors Fund Benefit Concert of Chess on September 22, 2003, at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
In 2007, he originated the role of Chef Louis in The Little Mermaid. From October 2009 to January 2010, Egan played a parent and reporter in the Roundabout Theatre Company's Broadway production of Bye Bye Birdie. He then played Joey in the Tony Award-nominated musical Sister Act on Broadway, from April 2011 to August 2012. In 2014, he was in a concert version of Guys and Dolls at Carnegie Hall playing Nicely-Nicely Johnson.
John released his first solo CD, Count The Stars, in April 2008. His second solo CD, On Christmas Morning, was released in October 2009.
- Canby, Vincent (August 15, 1998). "Don They Now Their Drag Apparel". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved April 5, 2021.
- "John Treacy Egan". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical (2001)". IMDb.
- "JOHN TREACY EGAN Theatre Credits – Who's Who Bio". Playbill. Archived from the original on September 1, 2008. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Phillips, Michael (August 27, 2001). "Not Just Another Op'nin'". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on April 5, 2021. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "'The Producers': John Treacy Eagan to play Max Bialystock from the 25 Oct & Jai Rodriguez, Carmen Ghia from the 1 Nov 2005". New York Theatre Guide. October 4, 2005. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Guys and Dolls cast
- "'BIRDIE' Star John Treacy Egan's Holiday Recording 'ON CHRISTMAS MORNING' Now Available". BroadwayWorld. December 2, 2009. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Biography". Christycat.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.