John Trevor Stuart
|Born||John Trevor Stuart
29 January 1929 
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
|Thesis||Stability of viscous motion for finite disturbances (1952)|
(John) Trevor Stuart FRS (born 29 January 1929) is a mathematician and Senior Research Investigator at Imperial College London working in theoretical fluid mechanics, hydrodynamic stability of fluid flows and nonlinear partial differential equations.
Stuart joined the Aeronautics Division of the National Research Laboratory, returning to join the staff of Imperial College after a few years. He was appointed Professor of Theoretical Fluid Mechanics in 1966 and was Head of the Department of Mathematics from 1974 to 1979 and 1983 to 1986. He was Dean of the Royal College of Science from 1990 to 1993. He is currently Emeritus Professor at Imperial.
Stuart is known for his work on nonlinear waves in the onset of turbulence in fluids. He also extended the work of Lord Rayleigh with research into steady streaming in unsteady viscous flows at high Reynolds numbers.
Stuart was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1974 and awarded the Otto Laporte Award in 1985 and the Senior Whitehead Prize in 1984. He also holds honorary Doctor of Science degrees from Brown University and the University of East Anglia. He is current editor of the Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society.
- STUART, Prof. (John) Trevor. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2013 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Gay, Hannah (2007). The History of Imperial College London, 1907–2007.
- "John Trevor Stuart's homepage at Imperial College London". Archived from the original on 2012-03-03.
- Stuart, J. T. (1996). "Evolution of vorticity in perturbed flow in a pipe". Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 13 (3): 206–201. doi:10.1016/S0894-1777(96)00081-7.
- Stuart, J. T. (1998). "Singularities in Three-Dimensional Compressible Euler Flows with Vorticity". Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics. 10: 385–391. Bibcode:1998ThCFD..10..385S. doi:10.1007/s001620050071.
- Stuart, J. T. (1997). "The quarterly journal of mechanics and applied mathematics 1947-1997". The Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics. 50 (4): 497–498. doi:10.1093/qjmam/50.4.497.
- Dhanak, M. R.; Stuart, J. T. (1995). "Distortion of the Stagnation-Point Flow Due to Cross-Stream Vorticity in the External Flow". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 352 (1700): 443. Bibcode:1995RSPTA.352..443D. doi:10.1098/rsta.1995.0081.
- Stuart, J. T. (1986). "Taylor-Vortex Flow: A Dynamical System". SIAM Review. 28 (3): 315–342. doi:10.1137/1028104.
- Stuart, J. T.; Diprima, R. C. (1978). "The Eckhaus and Benjamin-Feir Resonance Mechanisms". Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 362 (1708): 27. Bibcode:1978RSPSA.362...27S. doi:10.1098/rspa.1978.0118.
- Eagles, P. M.; Stuart, J. T.; Diprima, R. C. (2006). "The effects of eccentricity on torque and load in Taylor-vortex flow". Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 87 (2): 209. doi:10.1017/S002211207800155X.
- Stuart, John Trevor (1953). Stability of viscous motion for finite disturbances (PhD thesis). Imperial College London.(subscription required)
- "Imperial College Fellowship Awards". Imperial College. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Trevor Stuart". London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences may incorporate text from the royalsociety.org website where "all text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived February 20, 2016)
- Stuart, T. (2012). "Editorial". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2012.0040.
- Stuart, J. T. (2013). "Derek William Moore. 19 April 1931 -- 15 July 2008". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2013.0014.