Urschel in the 2015 NFL season.
|No. 64 Baltimore Ravens|
|Date of birth:||June 24, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Winnipeg, Manitoba|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||298 lb (135 kg)|
|High school:||Buffalo (NY) Canisius|
|NFL draft:||2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 175|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
|Player stats at PFR|
John Cameron Urschel (born June 24, 1991) is a Canadian-born American football guard for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League (NFL), who has also published peer-reviewed articles in mathematics. He was drafted by the Ravens in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Penn State. He also has bachelor's and master's degrees in mathematics from Penn State and is currently pursuing a PhD in Mathematics from MIT.
2014 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||298 lb||33 in||10 3⁄8 in||5.20 s||4.47 s||7.55 s||29 in||8 ft 6 in||30 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Urschel was selected by the Baltimore Ravens in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played in eleven games, starting three, for the Ravens in 2014. He appeared in sixteen games, starting seven, for the team in 2015.
In 2015, Urschel co-authored a paper in the Journal of Computational Mathematics. It is titled "A Cascadic Multigrid Algorithm for Computing the Fiedler Vector of Graph Laplacians" and includes "a cascadic multigrid algorithm for fast computation of the Fiedler vector of a graph Laplacian, namely, the eigenvector corresponding to the second smallest eigenvalue."
Urschel began a Ph.D. in Mathematics at MIT in 2016, focusing on spectral graph theory, numerical linear algebra and machine learning. He received straight-As in his first semester of the program.
- "Ravens Lineman John Urschel Loves Math More Than You Love Anything". Deadspin. March 20, 2015. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "John Urschel". Twitter. May 23, 2013. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "John Urschel". NFL.com. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "John Urschel". pro-football-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- Mullen, Jethro (March 22, 2015). "Unusual equation: Baltimore Ravens' guard John Urschel is a math whiz". CNN.com. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- Urschel, John C.; Hu, Xiaozhe; Xu, Jinchao; Zikatanov, Ludmil T. (2015). "A Cascadic Multigrid Algorithm for Computing the Fiedler Vector of Graph Laplacians" (PDF). Journal of Computational Mathematics 33 (2): 209–226. doi:10.4208/jcm.1412-m2014-0041.
- Miller, Stephen D. (2016). "'I plan to be a great mathematician': An NFL Offensive Lineman Shows He's One of Us" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society 63 (2): 148–151. doi:10.1090/noti1331.
- Clements, Ron (May 25, 2016). "Ravens guard John Urschel's straight-A streak continues at MIT". Sporting News. Retrieved June 9, 2016.