|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament
October 6, 2011
|Preceded by||David Ramsay|
|Born||1963 (age 53–54)
New Liskeard, Ontario
|Political party||New Democrat|
|Relations||Ernie Hardeman, uncle|
|Portfolio||3rd Party Whip (2014-)|
John Vanthof (born c. 1963) is a politician in Ontario, Canada. He is a New Democratic member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario who was elected in 2011. He represents the riding of Timiskaming—Cochrane.
Vanthof was born and raised on a dairy farm near New Liskeard, Ontario. He is the nephew of veteran Progressive Conservative MPP Ernie Hardeman. Prior to entering politics he was president of the Temiskaming Federation of Agriculture, a farmer's lobby group. He was a vocal opponent of the proposal to ship garbage from Toronto and bury it at Adams Mine.
In the 2007 provincial election, Vanthof ran as the New Democrat candidate in the riding of Timiskaming—Cochrane. He was defeated by incumbent Liberal David Ramsay by 634 votes. He tried again in 2011 this time winning against Liberal candidate Denis Bonin by 6,101 votes. He was re-elected in the 2014 provincial election defeating Liberal candidate Sébastien Goyer by 8,490 votes.
In opposition, he served as his party's critic for Natural Resources and Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Nickle, David (June 29, 2003). "On top of the heap; SPECIAL REPORT; Difficulties shipping waste to U.S. landfill, political jockeying put talk of Adams Mine back..". North York Mirror. p. 1.
- "The Agenda with Steve Paikin: Ernie Hardeman and John Vanthof: All in the Family". TV Ontario. Archived from the original on 2 March 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Residents fighting incinerator victims of bad laws". Sudbury Star. August 5, 2002. p. A1.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 15 (xxiv). Archived from the original (PDF) on October 7, 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 17. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Whitehouse, Mike (October 6, 2011). "Liberals take it on the chin in Northern Ontario". Sudbury Star.
- "General Election by District: Timiskaming-Cochrane". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014.
- Nolan, Daniel (October 26, 2011). "Child, youth services has Hamilton flavour: Local rookie MPPs Taylor, McKenna to hold Liberal minister Hoskins to account in 'top priority' ministry". The Hamilton Spectator. p. A7.