|The Most Reverend
|Archbishop Emeritus of Turku and Finland|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Turku|
October 1, 1931 |
|Spouse||Birgitta Vikström (deceased)|
John Edvin Vikström, (born October 1, 1931 in Kronoby, Finland), Archbishop emeritus of Finland, was born to parents Edvin and Hilma Vikström. In 1957 he married teacher Birgitta Vikström (b. Hellberg) who died in 1994. John Vikström has three children. His brother Erik Vikström and his son Björn Vikström are both his successors as bishop of Porvoo/Borgå.
Archbishop of Turku and Finland 1982–1998
As the 53rd successor of St. Henry, Vikström's era was far reaching. During his term as the Archbishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland the Church has carried out many reforms. The Church has been given a new Bible translation and a new hymnbook, the ordained ministry has been opened to women, church law has been reformed and liturgical reform has been undertaken. The Church of Finland has also been active ecumenically.
Archbishop emeritus John Vikström continues to be a popular speaker in academia and business.
John Vikström has also publicly embraced the idea of a basic income as a solution to social exclusion:
- "In this way, even working a little would be possible and would make sense. The system would not push people into idleness and divide citizens into winners and losers as cruelly as is the case now. I look at the question from the point of view of human dignity. A basic income paid to everyone would be less humiliating than the present benefit system can sometimes become. Basic income would send every citizen the following encouraging and motivating message: 'You are important. You are not a burden, but a resource. You are important by being a human being for others. Whatever work you do, in whatever situations, whether or not you are paid to do it, you still contribute to building our society.'"
The archbishop has placed the chairmanship of the Church's Social-Ethical Forum as his priority. The forum's aim is to resolve problems in the status of the elderly and poor in Finland.
An acclaimed author of numerous books and papers, his correspondence with Jörn Donner was voted as Book of the Year in 2002.
Studies and career
- Helsinki University:
- Bachelor of Theology 1956.
- Åbo Akademi:
- Licenciate of Theology 1962
- Doctor of Theology 1966 (subject of doctorate: Religion and Culture)
- Stipendiate of World Council of Churches in Tübingen, Germany 1956–1957.
- Ordained June 12, 1956
- Ex officio position in Esbo Swedish parish 1957.
- Pastor of Diaconia in Borgå Diocese 1957–1961.
- Assistant of Systematic Theology 1963–1964, lecturer 1966–1970 in Åbo Akademi.
- Associate Professor of Ethics and Philosophy of Religion in Åbo Akademi 1970.
- Bishop of Borgå Diocese 1970–1982
- Archbishop of Turku and Finland 1982–1998.
Awards and prizes
- Honorary doctor:
- Hallberg Prize 1967
- Swedish Cultural Fund's Prize 1981
- Decoration of the Grand Cross of German Democratic Republic 1989
- Order of the White Rose - Grand Cross 1986
- Cross of Apostle and Evangelist Mark, 1st Class 1989
- Order of the Holy Lamb, Commander 1st Class 1991
- Medal of Jordanian Independence, 1st Class 1993
- Lambeth Cross 1994
- Anders Chydenius Prize 1995
- Swedish Finland's Award, in silver 1996
- Finland's Communal Union Award, in gold 1997
- Friends of Swedish Folk School Award 1998
- Medal of Merit, Defence Forces of Finland, in gold 1998
- Medal of Journalism and Press 1999
- Cross of Maarjamaa 2001
- Cross of St. Henry 2007
- Religion och kultur. Grundproblemet i G.G. Rosenqvists religiösa tänkande 1966
- Religionssociologin i Finland 1967
- Kyrka och revolution 1968
- Kyrkan och kulturradikalismen 1968
- Effekten av religiös fostran 1970
- Tro i kris 1972 ISBN 951-550-020-6
- Fråga biskopen om tro 1980 ISBN 951-550-185-7
- Ihmisen usko 1982 ISBN 951-1-07084-3
- Herdestaven 1982 ISBN 951-550-230-6
- Kuitenkin (Trots allt) 1983 ISBN 951-550-265-9
- Uusi rohkeus elää 1985 ISBN 951-1-08339-2
- Kirjeen kääntöpiiri (Öppna svar) (with Eero Silvasti) 1987 ISBN 951-1-09359-2
- Suuntaviittoja 1988 ISBN 951-1-10277-X
- Myös maan päällä 1992
- Reconciliation and Hope 1998
- At leva är att dö 2000 with Jörn Donner ISBN 951-550-580-1
- Vapaus ja vakaumus 2003 ISBN 951-607-089-2
- Toivo ja elämä 2005 ISBN 951-607-246-1
Media related to John Vikström at Wikimedia Commons
|Archbishop of Turku