John W. Broomes
John W. Broomes
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas|
|Assumed office |
April 16, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||J. Thomas Marten|
|Born||1969 (age 49–50)|
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Education||University of Texas at Austin (BS)|
Washburn University School of Law (JD)
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1991–1999|
(Inactive Reserves from 1996–1999)
John Wesley Broomes (born 1969) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.
Broomes earned his Bachelor of Science, with high honors, from the University of Texas at Austin. He received his Juris Doctor from Washburn University School of Law, where he graduated first in his class with a certificate in natural resources law.
Before entering law school, Broomes was a Lieutenant in the United States Navy Submarine Force, where his awards included the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and three Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals. Earlier in his career, he served as a law clerk to both Judge Monti L. Belot and Magistrate Judge Donald W. Bostwick on the United States District Court for the District of Kansas. Before becoming a judge, he was a member of the Hinkle Law Firm LLC, where he practiced in the firm's Business Litigation Group with a focus on natural resources law.
Federal judicial service
On September 7, 2017, President Trump nominated Broomes to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas, to the seat vacated by Judge J. Thomas Marten, who assumed senior status on May 1, 2017. A hearing on his nomination before the Senate Judiciary Committee took place on November 15, 2017. On December 7, 2017, his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On April 12, 2018, the Senate voted to invoke cloture by a vote of 74–24. His nomination was then confirmed on the same day by a voice vote. He received his commission on April 16, 2018.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: John Wesley Broomes" (PDF).
- " President Donald J. Trump Announces Seventh Wave of Judicial Candidates" White House, September 7, 2017 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Nine Nominations Sent to the Senate Today".
- "Nominations – United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – December 7, 2017, Senate Judiciary Committee" (PDF).
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress – 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- "PN988 – Nomination of John W. Broomes, of Kansas, for The Judiciary, 115th Congress (2017–2018)". www.congress.gov. September 7, 2017. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- John W. Broomes at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- John Broomes at Ballotpedia
J. Thomas Marten
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas