John Wall Dance
The John Wall Dance is a dance performed by flexing the arms and twisting the wrist. John Wall first performed the eponymous dance during his introduction at Big Blue Madness at the University of Kentucky in October 2009. Wall says that his idea for the dance came from the music video of the song "Do the Shizz" made by the Louisville rapper Kenzo. LaShawn "Sugar Shizz" Talbert, who inspired the dance, performed "The Shizz" in the music video. The John Wall Dance has subsequently integrated itself into popular culture.
On August 21, 2010, LaShawn "Sugar Shizz" Talbert, the inspiration behind the John Wall Dance, died after being shot in the head in Louisville. Talbert created the dance "The Shizz" which was shown in a music video by Kenzo who further popularized his dance move.
On March 11, 2011, Kensey "Kenzo" Rankin, the hip hop artist from Kentucky who wrote the song "Do the Shizz", filed a lawsuit against CBS Broadcasting for airing segments regarding Wall and the dance. Kenzo owned the copyright to the song with Gracie Productions LLC and Marcus Clark and alleged that CBS exploited the song without permission, though he did not claim copyright of the dance.
In popular culture
- Hip hop group Troop 41 released the single "Do the John Wall".
- A scene in the TV show Cougar Town references the dance.
- Former Washington Redskins kick returner Brandon Banks, now with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL, performed the dance as his touchdown celebration. Banks is from Raleigh, North Carolina, the same hometown as Wall, and has been longtime friends with Wall.
- When John Wall was drafted to the Washington Wizards, Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg and Washington Capitals left winger Alex Ovechkin did the dance in a video, with Wizards owner Ted Leonsis also attempting the dance.
- On The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on October 28, 2010, Wyatt Cenac performed the John Wall Dance.
- Magic Johnson performed the John Wall Dance at Rupp Arena on February 25, 2010.
- Wahl, Grant (2010-01-11). "He's The Shizz". SI.com. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- "Lashawn 'Sugar Shizz' Talbert Dies". Hearst Properties Inc. on behalf of WLKY. 22 August 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Sharp, Andrew (2010-08-23). "The Creator Of The John Wall Dance Has Died: We Celebrate His Legacy". SBNation.com. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- "Inspiration Behind "John Wall" Dance Killed In Louisville". LEX18.com. 22 August 2011. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "28-year-old shot Wednesday dies". WorldNow and WDRB. 22 August 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Eriq Gardner (15 March 2011). "'John Wall Dance' Rapper Sues CBS Over College Basketball Coverage". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Kensey Rankin et al v. CBS Broadcasting Inc". RFC Express. Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Barry Svrluga (11 December 2010). "Redskins' Brandon Banks, reunited with childhood friend John Wall and providing big returns". The Washington Post. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- Lee, Michael (2010-06-26). "Washington Wizards welcome John Wall". The Washington Post Company. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- Steinberg, Dan (29 October 2010). "John Wall Dance makes the Daily Show". The Washington Post Company. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- Gardner, Tim (26 February 2010). "Magic Johnson pulls out the John Wall dance on the court at Kentucky game". USA Today. Retrieved 3 January 2011.