John Wallace de Beque Farris
John Wallace de Beque Farris
|Senator for Vancouver South, British Columbia|
|Appointed by||William Lyon Mackenzie King|
|Attorney General and Minister of Labour, British Columbia|
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Vancouver City|
|10th President of the Canadian Bar Association|
|Preceded by||Henry Hague Davis|
|Succeeded by||Louis-Émery Beaulieu, K.C.|
|President of the Law Society of British Columbia|
|Born||December 3, 1878|
White's Cove, New Brunswick, Canada
|Died||February 25, 1970 (aged 91)|
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Spouse(s)||Evlyn Fenwick Farris|
|Relations||Laughlin Farris, New Brunswick M.L.A. (father); John Ferris, M.P.; New Brunswick M.L.A. (grandfather)|
|Children||Katherine Hay, Donald Fenwick, Ralph Keirstead and John Lauchlan Farris, Chief Justice of British Columbia|
Attorney General (1917-1922)
Minister of Labour (1917-1922)
President of the Executive Council (1917)
|Committees||Chair, Standing Committee on Banking and Commerce (1949-1950)|
John Wallace de Beque Farris, Canadian lawyer and politician.(December 3, 1878 – February 25, 1970) was a
Born in White's Cove, New Brunswick, the son of Laughlin P. Farris and Louise Hay, he was educated at St. Martin's Seminary, received his Bachelor of Arts from Acadia University and received his Bachelor of Law from the University of Pennsylvania.
He was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1903. He founded the law firm now called Farris LLP and was the first prosecutor of Vancouver, British Columbia.
In the 1930s and 1940s, Farris was instrumental in raising funds and persuading the provincial government to create the Faculty of Law at the University of British Columbia.
In 1937, Farris was appointed to the Senate of Canada representing the senatorial division of Vancouver South, British Columbia. He served until his death in 1970. Late in life, he was known within the Liberal Party as a staunch supporter of Pierre Trudeau's leadership and an opponent of Senate reform.
Other spellings of name
- John Wallace Debeque Farris
- John Wallace deBeque Farris
- "John Wallace de Beque Farris, 1878-1970: An inventory of His Papers in the Library of the University of British Columbia Special Collections Division"
- Canadian Bar Association: Past CBA Presidents
- "UBC Law Faculty Kicks Off Building Campaign with $1 Million Gift from Farris", UBC Media Release, September 25, 2006
- Winnipeg Free Press, 25 January 1969, p. 29.
- John Wallace de Beque Farris – Parliament of Canada biography
- "John Wallace de Beque Farris fonds. - 1918-1969". Retrieved December 28, 2005.
- "Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP History". Retrieved December 28, 2005.
- Francis (ed), Daniel (2000) , Francis, Daniel (ed.), Encyclopedia of British Columbia, Harbour Publishing, p. 222, ISBN 1-55017-200-XCS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Giles, QC, Jack (January 2010), "J.W. de B. Farris, Q.C.", The Advocate, Vancouver: Vancouver Bar Association, 68 (January 2010): 45–51, ISSN 0044-6416