John Weston (politician)
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country
|Preceded by||Blair Wilson|
|Succeeded by||Pamela Goldsmith-Jones|
|Born||April 19, 1958|
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Residence||West Vancouver, British Columbia|
John D. Weston, MP (born April 19, 1958) is a former Canadian politician, who was a Member of Parliament from 2008 to 2015, representing the electoral district of West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country. He is a member of the Conservative Party.
Weston studied International Relations at Harvard University, law at Osgoode Hall Law School, and is able to speak Mandarin as well as French and English. He then worked as a lawyer in Canada and in Taiwan. He is a founder of Pan Pacific Law Corporation and Access Law Group, as well as the Canadian Constitution Foundation.
During the 40th Parliament, he served as a member of the Aboriginal Affairs, Fisheries, and Library of Parliament Standing Committees, and as the Government Liaison to the Persian and Iranian Community, and as the Vice Chair of the Conservative Community Relations Committee.
Weston introduced bill C-475, which amended the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act to make it illegal to possess, produce, sell or import chemicals with the knowledge they will be used to create street drugs, though it was later tabled.
Weston created a National Health and Fitness Day bill, saying "On a personal level I just saw when I reached Ottawa how unhealthy was the lifestyle that MPs lead — so much time on airplanes and in committees and sitting in Parliament. I just resolved that if I was going to remain productive and useful to the people who voted me in, I needed to work at staying healthy."
In his column in The Tyee, political commentator Rafe Mair has been extremely critical of Weston's approach to environmental issues and his role as a Member of Parliament. Mair has repeatedly accused Weston of blindly adhering to Conservative Party policy on all issues. In an article dated January 19, 2015, Mair alleged that in Weston's time as an MP he had "never uttered a single word of criticism of any statement or action by the [Conservative] government". Weston and Mair are former colleagues from Mair's time as a BC MLA, and his role as minister responsible for constitutional reform during that period. Weston has responded to Mair by claiming that he carefully considers his position on environmental issues and comes to his own decision. In a responding letter to the editor, Weston also stated that Mair's critique had ignored the role of the democratic process and denigrated MPs' role in it.
|2015 Canadian federal election: West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country|
|New Democratic||Larry Koopman||6,554||9.86||-11.61||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||66,458||100.00||$241,170.76|
|Total rejected ballots||173||0.26||–|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||+25.20|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2011 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Terry Platt||14,828||23.59||+9.16|
|Progressive Canadian||Roger Lagassé||293||0.47||–|
|Western Block||Allan Holt||156||0.25||–|
|Marxist–Leninist||Carol Lee Chapman||87||0.14||–|
|Canadian Action||Doug Hartt||64||0.10||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||62,851||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||221||0.35||+0.01|
|2008 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Bill Forst||8,728||14.43||-5.63||$18,762|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||60,469||100.00||$100,350|
|Total rejected ballots||208||0.34||+0.12|
|Conservative gain from Green||Swing||+9.8|
|2006 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic Party||Judith Wilson||12,766||20.06||-1.66||$50,621|
|Total valid votes||63,635||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||144||0.23||0.0|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||+2.2|
- West Vancouver - Sunshine Coast - Sea to Sky Country: 2008 Results
- Conservatives make gains in B.C.
- Aaron Wherry (April 1, 2009). "The Crimson in their midst". Beyond the Commons. Macleans.ca. Archived from the original on 30 April 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- New MP profile: West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea-to-Sky's John Weston Archived 2010-07-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Parliament of Canada. "Member of Parliament Profile - Elections". House of Commons. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Parliament of Canada. "Member of Parliament Profile - Committees". House of Commons. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Weldon, James. "The North Shore News - Weston tables bill for [http://www.nationalhealthandfitnessday.com national health and fitness day]". The North Shore News. The North Shore News. Retrieved October 1, 2012. External link in
- Ingram, Ben. "The Coast Reporter -". The Coast Reporter. The Coast Reporter. Missing or empty
- Mair, Rafe (9 June 2014). "Help Rafe Mair Lift His Gloom Today". The Tyee.
- Mair, Rafe (15 September 2014). "Mulroney Knocks Harper? Oh This Is Rich!". The Tyee.
- Mair, Rafe (19 January 2015). "Mair Predicts: Greens Will Hold Balance of Power". The Tyee.
- Weston, John (23 June 2014). "Dear Rafe Mair: I'm Not Giving Up". The Tyee.
- Weston, John (1 October 2014). "'The Environment Is the Economy': MP Weston". The Tyee.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Final Candidates Election Expenses Limits
- Elections Canada – Forty-Second General Election 2015 - Poll-by-poll results