Chorley, Lancashire, England
|Education||University of Manchester|
|Occupation||Chef, author, baker, television personality|
|Television||The Great British Bake Off
John Whaite is an English baker who won the third series of The Great British Bake Off in 2012. He works as a chef, television presenter, and author. He is a presenter and judge on the ITV daytime cookery competition show Chopping Block.
John Whaite was born in Chorley and grew up on a farm in Wrightington. He has two sisters, Jane and Victoria. He became interested in baking when he was five after his parents divorced. He won a place at Oxford to read modern and medieval languages, but switched to study Law at the University of Manchester so as to be nearer home. He gained a first-class degree after sitting his law exams while filming Bake Off, and worked briefly as banker in the Royal Bank of Scotland's asset finance department. However, he rejected a career in law or banking after winning the series, and opted to take classes at Le Cordon Bleu to pursue a career in food.
In 2012, at the age of 23, Whaite took part in the third series of The Great British Bake Off on BBC Two. After making it through to the final, he won the show with his Italian sausage and roasted vegetable pithivier, fondant fancies and heaven and hell chiffon cake. Despite winning the show, he only won 'Star Baker' once in the series.
Whaite appears as a resident chef on ITV's Lorraine programme, hosted by Lorraine Kelly. In addition, he has also appeared on This Morning, What's Cooking?, The Alan Titchmarsh Show and Sunday Brunch as a guest chef.
In April 2016, Whaite began co-presenting Chopping Block, ITV's new daytime cookery competitive show with Rosemary Shrager where four couples compete in a series of daily challenges to win a prize. A second series began airing in March 2017.
After appearing on Bake Off, Whaite studied a diploma in Patisserie at Le Cordon Bleu, London.
In 2015, John Whaite's Kitchen Cookery School opened in Lancashire.
Whaite has released four cookery books. His first book, John Whaite Bakes was released on 25 April 2013, and the second, John Whaite Bakes At Home was released on 27 March 2014. The third book, Perfect Plates in 5 Ingredients, was published in April 2016. He wrote a column on food for The Daily Telegraph. "Comfort: Food to soothe the soul" will be published in October 2017.
- John Whaite Bakes (released 25 April 2013)
- John Whaite Bakes At Home (released 25 March 2014)
- Perfect Plates in 5 Ingredients (released 21 April 2016)
- Comfort: Food to soothe the soul (released 5 October 2017)
- "John Whaite". RUCO.
- Dianne Bourne (1 October 2014). "Great British Bake Off winner John Whaite tips Luis Troyano as 'dark horse' of competition". Manchester Evening News.
- "John Whaite". Sainsbury.
- Emily Hill (10 September 2013). "Have yourself a very merry BAKE OFF! Winner John Whaite shares his four favourite Christmas recipes". The Daily Mail.
- Roger Borrell (April 16, 2013). "Wigan’s fabulous baking boy - Great British Bake Off winner John Whaite". Lancashire Life.
- Jenny Johnston (19 April 2013). "John Whaite was destined for a highly paid but deathly dull job in the City when he won Bake Off. Now he's hoping to make even more dough". The Daily Mail.
- Helena Kealey (5 Aug 2014). "Bake Off: the winners reveal their secrets". The Daily Telegraph.
- "John Whaite". ITV.
- Laura Mitchell (8 November 2013). "Great British Bake Off's John Whaite: Mary and Paul's support means so much to me". Daily Express.
- "Chopping Block". 24 Mar 2016.
- Sophie McCoid-SOU (25 February 2015). "Great British Bake Off winner opens West Lancashire cookery school". Southport Visiter.
- Sophia Moir (Apr 26, 2013). "John Whaite: How baking helps me battle depression - EXCLUSIVE". Yahoo Lifestyle.
- Josh Willacy (27 March 2014). "The winner bakes it all: Great British Bake Off ace John Whaite reveals guilty secrets and making mum jealous". Mancunian Matters.
- John Whaite (27 April 2016). "Take just five ingredients... John Whaite shares his favourite easy recipes". The Daily Telegraph.
- "John Whaite". The Daily Telegraph.
- "John Whaite". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Olivia Parker". 17 September 2014.
- "John Whaite and boyfriend: Attitude's 'Love & Marriage". Attitues. March 24, 2014.
- Semple, Ross (21 July 2017). "'Bake Off' winner John Whaite announces engagement to long-term boyfriend". Attitude.