|Lancaster City Councillor for Bulk Ward|
3 May 2003 – 5 May 2011
|Succeeded by||Tim Hamilton-Cox|
|Political party||Green Party of England and Wales|
John Whitelegg is visiting Professor of Sustainable Transport at Liverpool John Moores University  and Professor of Sustainable Development at University of York's Stockholm Environment Institute.
From 1990 to 1993 Dr. Whitelegg was Head of Department of Geography at Lancaster University and Director of the University's Environmental Epidemiology Research Unit. He has written books and over 50 papers, including Transport for a Sustainable Society: the Case for Europe (John Wiley, 1993) and Critical Mass: Transport, Environment and Society in the 21st Century (Pluto Press, 1996), and is founder and editor of the Journal of World Transport Policy & Practice.
Managing Director of Eco-Logica Limited and Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce. Research interests encompass transport and the environment, definition of sustainable transport systems and a sustainable built environment, development of transport in third world cities focusing on Calcutta and the relationships between sustainability and human health, implementation of environmental strategies within manufacturing and service industry and development of environmental management standards. Discipline: Transport, Planning & Housing.
He was from 2003 to May 2011 a Green Party local councillor in Lancaster. He stood down in Bulk Ward and his successor held the ward for the Green Party. He is a former chair of the North West (of England) Green Party. He has been the Green Party's Sustainable Development Spokesperson.
- Hillman, M., Adams, J. and Whitelegg, J. (1990) One False Move: A Study of Children's Independent Mobility Policy Studies Institute, London.
- Whitelegg, J. (editor) (1992) Traffic Congestion: Is There a Way Out? Leading Edge Press, Hawes, Yorkshire
- Whitelegg, J. Hulten, S. and Flink, T. (eds) (1993) High Speed Trains: fast tracks to the future Leading Edge Press, Hawes, Yorkshire
- Whitelegg, J. (1993) Transport for a Sustainable Future: the case for Europe Belhaven, London.
- Whitelegg, J. (1997) Critical Mass: Transport Environment and Society in the Twenty-first Century Pluto Press, London.
- Nick Williams, Maf Smith and John Whitelegg (1998) Greening the Built Environment Earthscan, London.
- Whitelegg, J. and Gary Haq. (eds) (2003) The Earthscan Reader in World Transport Policy and Practice Earthscan, London.
- Liverpool John Moores University Archived 17 April 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Stockholm Environment Institute Archived 31 December 2010 at WebCite
- EcoLogica staff list Archived 25 April 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- EU Politix Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Green Party biography Archived 31 December 2010 at WebCite
- "Scientists say ongoing weather extremes offer proof of climate change". Green Party. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.