John Whittaker (rugby league)
|Full name||John Albert Whittaker|
|Position||Fullback, Wing, Centre|
From the Randwick club, Whittaker also played for Wellington a record 73 times. He played in 73 games for Wellington. Whittaker was involved in Randwick's premierships in 1968, 1969, 1970, 1976 and 1983.
Whittaker made his international début for the New Zealand Kiwis in 1970 and went on to play for the Kiwis in twenty four matches, including four world cups. Whittaker's international career spanned thirteen seasons. Despite suffering major injuries in a motoring accident, Whittaker made a full recovery and was recalled in the early 1980s after two years out of the national side.
Notable tour matches
In 2012 Whittaker was named as one of the New Zealand Rugby League's Legends of League. At the Wellington Rugby League's Centenary celebrations, Whittaker was named as their player of the century. He was also named in their team of the century.
- John Whittaker rugbyleagueproject.org
- WHITTAKER, John Albert 1970 - 72, 1975, 1977, 19 - Kiwi #485 Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine. nzleague.co.nz
- Randwick Kiwis Randwick Kingfishers
- Lion Red 1988 Rugby League Annual, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1988. p.p.151-159
- Team of the Century-Week 3 Wellington Rugby League
- John Coffey, Bernie Wood (2008). 100 years: Māori rugby league, 1908-2008. Huia Publishers. p. 246. ISBN 978-1-86969-331-2. ISBN 1-86969-331-0.
- "Warrington :: 15 - Australia :: 12 - date: 11th October 1978". wire2wolves.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Kiwis Coach One of Three New Legends of League Named[permanent dead link] nzrl.co.nz, 30 October 2012