John Willison Green
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|John Willison Green|
February 12, 1927|
Vancouver, BC, Canada
|Died||May 28, 2016
Chilliwack, BC, Canada
|Education||University of British Columbia
|Occupation||Bigfoot researcher, author, journalist|
|Notable credit(s)||Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us, On the Track of the Sasquatch, Year of the Sasquatch, The Sasquatch File|
John Willison Green (February 12, 1927 – May 28, 2016) was a Canadian journalist and a leading researcher into the Bigfoot phenomenon. He was a graduate of both the University of British Columbia and Columbia University and compiled a database of more than 3000 sighting and track reports.
Sasquatch investigation work
Green first began investigating Sasquatch sightings and track finds in 1957 after meeting René Dahinden and the two researchers collaborated in interviewing witnesses and sharing information of alleged sightings. A year later Green was shown a series of 15" tracks crossing a sandbar beside Bluff Creek in California so deeply impressed as to indicate a weight many times that of any potential hoaxer. He had been trying ever since to establish what it is that makes the tracks. Green also investigated the original Sasquatch tracks reported in Bluff Creek, California, in the summer of 1958.
As a renowned authority in the field, Green appeared as a keynote speaker at all three of the major scientific Sasquatch symposia held so far. Green authored several Sasquatch books, including Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us, regarded by the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) as the "best written book on the subject". It has recently been re-issued, along with an updated combination of two earlier books, and is titled The Best of Sasquatch Bigfoot.
A tribute to John Green was held in Harrison Hot Springs from April 8–10, 2011. April 9 was the main day for presentations by renowned personalities in the field, including Dr. Jeff Meldrum, Dr. John Bindernagel and Loren Coleman.
Green died on May 28, 2016.
- On the Track of the Sasquatch (1968) (ISBN 0-88839-341-5)
- Year of the Sasquatch (1970)
- The Sasquatch File (1973)
- Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us (1978) (ISBN 0-88839-018-1)
- Encounters with Bigfoot (ISBN 0-88839-340-7)
- The Best of Sasquatch Bigfoot (ISBN 0-88839-546-9)
- "Sasquatch Hunter Goes On". The Spokesman-Review. January 15, 1970. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Lindsay, Stephen (May 5, 2007). "Seeking sasquatch". The Spokesman-Review. pp. 8–9. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "The Apes Among Us". Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Graf, Christine (October 2010). "In Search of Monsters". Faces. 27 (2): 8–11. ISSN 0749-1387.
- Henderson, Paul J. (April 13, 2011). "Seeking sasquatch". Chilliwack Times. Archived from the original on August 21, 2011. Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- "John Willison GREEN's Obituary on The Vancouver Sun". legacy.com. Retrieved June 10, 2016.