John Wilson (Canadian writer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||August 2, 1951
|Nationality||Canadian (formerly British)|
|Period||1987 to present|
|Genre||Historical Fiction, Non-fiction|
|Notable works||"Shot at Dawn", "Written in Blood," "Death on the River," Where Soldiers Lie, And in the Morning, Flames of the Tiger, Four Steps to Death|
John Wilson (born Edinburgh, Scotland, 1951) is a Canadian author.
John Wilson was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on August 2, 1951. He grew up on the Island of Skye, and in Paisley. According to Wilson, he could speak some Gaelic but now his primary language is English.
After university, where he obtained an Honours degree in Geology, Wilson worked as a geologist in Zimbabwe, before moving to Canada. When he arrived in Canada, he instantly fell in love with the country. For nine years, he worked for the Alberta Geological Survey in Edmonton.
In 1989, Wilson wrote an article that was published by the Globe and Mail. This success prompted him to become a full-time writer. A self-proclaimed history addict, Wilson writes historical fiction and non-fiction for kids teens and adults. He is the prolific author of over 30 books, 300 articles and essays, 30 poems and hundreds of book reviews. Wilson tours schools across Canada talking to kids of all ages about his writing, research and books.
Wilson now lives in Lantzville on Vancouver Island.
- Across Frozen Seas
- Ghosts of James Bay
- Adrift in Time
- Red Goodwin
- Lost Cause
- Shot at Dawn
- Death on the River
- Where Soldiers Lie
- And in the morning...Published February 1st 2003 by Kids Can Press (first published November 8th 2002)
- The Alchemist's Dream
- Flames of the Tiger
- Four Steps to Death
- Lost in Spain
- Dancing Elephants and Floating Continents
- The Flags of War
- Battle Scars
- Graves of Ice
- Wings of War
- Desert Legends
- Written in Blood
- Ghost Moon
- Victorio’s War
- Heretic's Secret
- Crusade / Heretic
- Quest / Grail
- Weet's Quest
- Weet Alone
- World At War Trilogy
- Desperate Glory
- Failed Hope: The Story of the Lost Peace
- Bitter Ashes: The Story of WWII
- Discovering the Arctic: The Story of John Rae
- Righting Wrongs: The Story of Norman Bethune
- Norman Bethune: A Life of Passionate Conviction
- John Franklin: Traveller on Undiscovered Seas
- Written in Blood—Manitoba Young Readers’ Choice Awards, short list, 2012; TriState YA Book of Note 2011
- Death on the River— TriState YA Book of Note 2010
- Crusade: The Heretic’s Secret Book I—Geoffrey Bilson Award short list
- Germania—Resource Links Best Book 2008; CCBC Best Books for Kids & Teens, (starred title of “exceptional calibre”).
- The Alchemist's Dream—Governor General's Award, finalist, 2007; Geoffrey Bilson Award short list; Moonbeam Award, Silver Medalist, 2007; Shiela Egoff Prize (BC Book Prize), Honour Book; Chocolate Lily Award, short list; ForeWard Book of the Year, (Young Adult), finalist.
- Where Soldiers Lie—Geoffrey Bilson Award, Honour Book; Red Maple short list, 2008; Saskatchewan Young Readers’ Choice (SYRCA) Snow Willow Award; CCBC Our Choice, 2007
- Red Goodwin—Red Maple short list, 2007; Chocolate Lily short list, 2007/8; CCBC Our Choice, 2007.
- Four Steps to Death—White Pine short list, 2007; Shiela Egoff Prize (BC Book Prize), Honour Book; Manitoba Young Reader's Choice Award, short list, 2006; Geoffrey Bilson Award Honour Book; Society of School Librarians International, Honour Book 2006; Stellar Award short list; Isinglass Award, short list; CCBC Our Choice (starred) 2006.
- Battle Scars—CCBC our Choice 2006
- Flags of War—CCBC Our Choice 2005
- Flames of the Tiger—White Pine short list, 2005; New York Public Library Selection, Best Books for the Teen Age List, 2004; Manitoba Reader's Young Choice Award Honour Book, 2005; Society of School Librarians International, Honour Book; Stellar Award short list; CCBC Our Choice 2004
- And in the Morning—White Pine short list, 2004; New York Public Library Selection, Best Books for the Teen Age List, 2004; Chocolate Lily Award Nominee; Stellar Award short list; CCBC Our Choice (starred) 2003 .
- Adrift in Time—Chocolate Lily Award Nominee.
- Lost in Spain—New York Public Library Selection, Best Books for the Teen Age List, 2000.
- Across Frozen Seas—Geoffrey Bilson Award, short list; Shiela Egoff Prize (BC Book Prize) Honour Book; CCBC Our Choice.
- Desperate Glory: The Story of WWI—Red Maple short list, 2009; OLA Best Bets
- Dancing Elephants and Floating Continents: The Story of Canada Beneath Your Feet—Science in Society Book Award short list; Shiela Egoff Prize (BC Book Prize) Honour Book; Hackmatack Award short list, 2004/5; CCBC Our Choice 2004
- Discovering the Arctic: The Story of John Rae—Norma Fleck Award short list, 2004; CCBC Our Choice.2004
- Righting Wrongs: The Story of Norman Bethune—Norma Fleck Award short list, 2002.
- "John Wilson". WorldCat.org. Retrieved 3 April 2010.