John T. Zuhlsdorf
|Diocese||Madison (Wisconsin, United States)|
|Ordination||May 26, 1991
by Pope John Paul II
October 28, 1959 |
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota|
|Motto||Zelus Domus Tuæ (Zeal for your House)|
|Coat of arms|
|Ordination history of John Zuhlsdorf|
|Ordained by||Pope John Paul II|
|Date of ordination||May 26, 1991|
|Place of ordination||Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican City|
John Todd Zuhlsdorf (born October 28, 1959) is an American Catholic priest, formerly of the Diocese of Velletri-Segni, and currently of the Diocese of Madison. He is also a Catholic Internet personality, often known as "Father Z". He currently resides in Madison, Wisconsin.
Zuhlsdorf was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1959. As a young man he studied at the University of Minnesota. Formerly a Lutheran, Zuhlsdorf's conversion to Catholicism was set into motion after hearing a piece of sacred polyphony on the radio. He felt called to serve as a priest and entered the seminary and was ordained a priest by Pope John Paul II on May 26, 1991, Trinity Sunday. Also ordained at the same ceremony is Father John Corapi.
Later, Zuhlsdorf became a weekly columnist for the Traditionalist Catholic newspaper The Wanderer, and has appeared on EWTN and the Fox News Channel. He has also appeared as a phone-in guest on the internet evangelization website ChurchMilitant.tv, hosted by Michael Voris. He is best known for his blog Fr. Z's Blog (previously named: What Does the Prayer Really Say?), in which he advocates for reverent celebration of both authorized forms of the Roman Rite liturgy of the Mass, the ordinary form and the extraordinary, and for revival of the sacrament of Penance. "The Staggers", the blog of the British magazine New Statesman, listed Zuhlsdorf's site as one of the top ten Christian blogs in the world.
- "Presbiteri Diocesani" (in Italian). Dioscesi Suburbicaria Velletri-Segni. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Active Clergy". Roman Catholic Diocese of Madison. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- Salai, Sean, S.J. (August 7, 2014). "The Catholic Blogosphere: Q&A with Father John Zuhlsdorf". America.
- Stewart, Phil (July 7, 2007). "Pope revives old Latin mass, sparks Jewish concern". Reuters. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "Hell: We're Afraid to Scare em' with the Truth! w/ Fr. Z and Fr. Scanlon" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV7FADideHo. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Emanuelle Degli Esposti (2011-06-10). "Top Ten Christian Blogs". "The Staggers" rolling blog. New Statesman. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Father John Zuhlsdorf, new President of the Tridentine Mass Society of Madison, to Celebrate Traditional Mass at Holy Redeemer Church Nov 25". 2012-11-18. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
Salai, Sean. "The Catholic Blogosphere: Q&A with Father John Zuhlsdorf". America (August 7, 2014).