John de Ufford
|John de Ufford|
|Archbishop-designate of Canterbury|
|Term ended||20 May 1349|
|Predecessor||John de Stratford
|Died||20 May 1349|
|Previous post||Lord Privy Seal, Dean of Lincoln|
De Ufford was sent, along with Nicholas de Luna and Hugh Neville to Avignon in the summer of 1344 as envoys to a council held by Pope Clement VI to mediate peace during the Peace of Malestroit (January 1343 – September 1346), a breathing space for both sides during the Hundred Years War. The mediation came to naught.
De Ufford was the chancellor to Edward III, keeper of both the great seal and the privy seal. He was entrusted with the privy seal in 1342 (thus becoming Lord Privy Seal), and the great seal on 26 October 1345, which was the duty of the Lord Chancellor. He resigned the office of Lord Privy Seal after 29 September 1344, but held the office of Chancellor until his death.
Archbishop of Canterbury
After the death of Archbishop John de Stratford, Edward chose de Ufford as Archbishop of Canterbury, though the canons of the chapter had elected Thomas Bradwardine, the king's trusted confessor, a great intellectual and diplomat. De Ufford was appointed to the see of Canterbury by papal bull dated 24 September 1348 and was granted the temporalities of the see on 14 December 1348.
Death and afterward
Any developing contention between the chapter and the king was rendered a dead issue when de Ufford, already aged and infirm, was carried off by the Black Death, before being consecrated, on 20 May 1349.
- Sometimes John de Offord or John Offord
- Fowler King's Lieutenant p. 49
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 94
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 86
- "Lord Chancellors and Lord Keepers: past and present". Department for Constitutional Affairs. Retrieved 2006-02-10.
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 233
- Fowler, Kenneth Alan (1969). The King's Lieutenant: Henry of Grosmont First Duke of Lancaster 1310–1361. New York: Barnes & Noble. ISBN 0-389-01003-0.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- "Lord Chancellors and Lord Keepers: past and present". Department for Constitutional Affairs. Retrieved 10 February 2006.
- British History Online: Folio xxvii–xxvii b.
|Lord Privy Seal
Sir Robert Sadington
|Catholic Church titles|
|Dean of Lincoln
John de Stratford
|Archbishop-designate of Canterbury