Johnathan Hankins in training camp, 2016
|No. 95 New York Giants|
|Date of birth:||March 29, 1992|
|Place of birth:||Dearborn Heights, Michigan|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||320 lb (145 kg)|
|High school:||Detroit (MI) Southeastern|
|NFL draft:||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 49|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Johnathan Hankins (born March 29, 1992) is an American football defensive tackle for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Giants in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Ohio State, where he received All-American honors.
Hankins was born in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. He began his high school football career as a 255-pound offensive guard in his freshman year. For his sophomore year he transferred to Southeastern High School, where he started on the defensive line. Five-star prospect William Gholston transferred to Southeastern in 2008, creating the "best defense in Detroit", with Hankins shutting down the inside and Gholston patrolling on the edge.
Hankins was regarded as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, and was listed as the No. 20 prospect from Michigan in the class of 2010. He intended to accompany Gholston to Michigan State, but did not get any offer from the Spartans. Hankins eventually picked Ohio State over offers from Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.
Hankins enrolled in Ohio State University, where he played for the Ohio State Buckeyes football team from 2010 to 2012. As a true freshman, Hankins made the Buckeyes rotation and recorded 16 tackles (3 solo) plus a quarterback sack for the season. He weighed in as a freshman "at about 350, 355," and was regarded as only a two-down player by defensive coordinator Jim Heacock. By his sophomore year, Hankins managed to get his weight down to 330. He became a starter, registering 67 tackles (32 solo) and three sacks. Following his 2012 junior season, he was a first-team All-Big Ten Conference selection, and received first-team All-American honors from Scout.com.
2013 NFL Draft
Even though Hankins only entered his junior season in 2012, he was projected to leave Ohio State early. In preseason mock drafts from May 2012, Hankins was listed as a mid first-rounder for the 2013 NFL Draft. By mid-season, he had moved up to a top-10 spot. In December 2012, Hankins announced that he would forgo his final year of eligibility, entering the 2013 NFL Draft. Hankins was selected in the 2nd round, 49th overall by the New York Giants in the 2013 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2⅞ in||320 lb||33 in||9½ in||5.31 s||1.85 s||3.10 s||4.61 s||7.59 s||26 in||8 ft 8 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
After Linval Joseph left the Giants for the Minnesota Vikings, Hankins was expected to step into his role. Known as a run stuffer, Hankins surprisingly showed flashes as a pass rusher recording 7 sacks, 6 QB hits and 21 hurries. Hankins exceeded expectations as he recorded 51 tackles, 7 sacks and a forced fumble and was named to Pro Football Focus' AllPro Team at Defensive Tackle.
On November 8, 2015, Hankins tore his pectoral muscle during the second quarter of the week 9 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was placed on season-ending injured reserve on November 10, 2015.
- Ohio State's Johnathan Hankins to see former high school teammate, Michigan State's William Gholston, when Buckeyes play Spartans on Saturday
- Rivals.com Michigan Postseason Top 35 2010
- Ohio State football: Big has its limits
- Prisco, Pete (April 30, 2012). "Top 32 for 2013: Barkley headlines a class that already looks deep". CBS Sports.
- Schrager, Peter (May 1, 2012). "Schrager's 2013 mock draft". Fox Sports.
- Pauline, Tony (November 8, 2012). "Barkevious Mingo, Bjoern Werner, Star Lotulelei in top 50". SI.com.
- Ohio State DT Johnathan Hankins to enter 2013 NFL Draft
- Eisen, Michael (November 9, 2015). "Johnathan Hankins out for season with pectoral injury". Giants.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (November 10, 2015). "Giants add DT Montori Hughes to active roster; Johnathan Hankins to IR". Giants.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.