||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Johnny Duhan at Dunamaise Theatre Portlaoise 2006 .
|Birth name||Johnny Duhan|
|Born||30 March 1950|
|Associated acts||Granny’s Intentions|
Johnny Duhan (born 30 March 1950) started his career as a fifteen-year-old front man in the Limerick beat group Granny’s Intentions. After achieving some success in Dublin, they moved to London and were signed to the Decca/Deram record label, releasing several singles and one album, Honest Injun. However, the band disbanded before Duhan was twenty one. Despite offers to front other bands, Duhan turned his back on the popular music industry and started writing folk songs, poetry and prose. He has condensed his various works over 40 years into a quartet of albums: Just Another Town, To The Light, The Voyage and Flame. These correspond with the four chapters of his lyrical autobiography, To The Light. His songs have achieved notability, largely thanks to the focus put on them by Christy Moore, The Dubliners, Mary Black and many other Irish and international singers. The Duhan song "The Voyage" has become a modern classic. Christy Moore stated that "The Voyage" (his most popular song according to iTunes) has been performed at over a million weddings worldwide.
- Flame (1996)
- Tree (2002)
- The Voyage (2005)
- Just Another Town (2007)
- To The Light (2008)
- The Burning Word (2010)
- Winter (2012)
- Highlights (2014)
- Creation (2015)
- There is a Time (Brandon Books, 2001) ISBN 978-0-86322-283-2
- The Voyage - Johnny Duhan Songbook (Waltons Publishers, 2003) ISBN 1-85720-151-5
- To The Light (Bell Productions, 2009) ISBN 978-0-9555106-1-8
You can hear a recent interview with Johnny and listen to him performing exclusive versions of some of his best loved songs at http://www.podcasts.ie/featured-musicians/johnny-duhan/
- "Granny's Intentions - Honest Injun (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "IMRO » Johnny Duhan". Imro.ie. 2015-06-27. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- Johnny Duhan's Official Website
- Johnny Duhan on Irish Rock.org
- Johnny Duhan at AllMusic
- on YouTube
- More on Granny's Intentions
- Even more on Granny's Intentions
- Johnny Duhan in 'Musicians, Singers, Comedians, etc.' file at Limerick City Library, Ireland
- Granny's Intentions in 'Music, pop, etc.' file at Limerick City Library, Ireland