Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit
|Genres||Folk rock, folk|
|Labels||Transgressive Records (UK)|
Lost Highway Records (USA)
|Associated acts||Alt-J, Noah and the Whale, Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons, Cosmo Sheldrake|
Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit are an English folk rock band signed to Transgressive Records. They are fronted by Johnny Flynn, an actor, poet and songwriter who cites W.B. Yeats and Shakespeare among his influences. Current members are Flynn, David Beauchamp, Adam Beach, Joe Zeitlin, James Mathe, Matt Edmonds, and Johnny's sister Lillie Flynn.
The group's first album, A Larum was released in 2008 through Vertigo Records, receiving critical praise including a nomination for the XFM music award and Paste magazine's best music of 2008. This was followed by the Sweet William EP, released in the winter of 2009. The follow-up album, Been Listening, was released through Transgressive Records in June 2010, and was accompanied with worldwide touring. In 2012 Flynn released A Film Score of a Bag of Hammers, the soundtrack to the movie of the same name. Their third studio album, Country Mile, was released in September 2013.
Flynn was chosen as one of Fricke's Picks in Rolling Stone magazine in August 2008. Critic David Fricke called his debut A Larum, "marvellous" and "buoyant." He has also been called "the next poster boy of the nu-folk scene", by The Times. "Kentucky Pill" was the 30 March 'Hottest Record in the World' on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show.
- A Larum (2008)
- Been Listening (2010)
- A Film Score of a Bag of Hammers (soundtrack) (2012)
- Country Mile (2013)
- Sillion (2017)
- Live at the Roundhouse (2018)
- "The Box" (2007)
- "Brown Trout Blues" (2008)
- "Leftovers" (2008)
- "Tickle Me Pink" (2008)
- "Kentucky Pill" (2010)
- "Barnacled Warship" (2010)
- "The Water" (2010)
- Ode to a Mare Trod Ditch (2007)
- "Fee Fie Foe Fum" [Split 7" with Laura Marling] (2008)
- [Untitled 10" Vinyl] (2008)
- Sweet William EP (2009)
- The Epic Tale of Tom and Sue (2007)
- Hong Kong Cemetry EP (2008)
- Napster Session [Digital-only release] (2008)
Compilation album appearances
- NME Presents: Independent Thinking - Transgressive Records (2006) - "Tickle Me Pink (Demo)"
- The Mules present "Pick Your Own" (2007) - "Hello Hello"
- NME Presents: Love Music Hate Racism (2007) - "Cold Bread (Engine Room Demo)"
- MOJO Presents: The White Album Recovered (2007) - "Rocky Racoon (The Beatles Cover)"
- Communion (2010) - "In the Honour of Industry"
- "Cider Smiles - Volume III", Hide and Seek Records (2010) "Drum"
In July 2009, Flynn featured in the music video for Australian singer Lisa Mitchell's single "Coin Laundry" from the album Wonder. A live performance of "Been Listening" featured on the DVD included with the special edition of Laura Marling's album, I Speak Because I Can. Flynn completed filming Lotus Eaters in London. He also does a cameo in a French movie, Après mai (2012) by Olivier Assayas, playing a song. Flynn also appeared in the first episode of Black Cab Sessions.
Flynn and his song 'The Wrote and The Writ' were referenced in Alt-J's(∆) song 'Matilda'
- "Johnny Flynn". Stranded in Stereo. Archived from the original on 17 May 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Signs of Life 2008: Best Music :: Music :: Features :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "May 10, 2008 Interview, The Times". Entertainment.timesonline.co.uk. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Radio 1 Programmes - Zane Lowe, 30/03/2010". BBC. 30 March 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Watch: Trailer For SXSW Hit 'A Bag Of Hammers,' With Rebecca Hall & Jason Ritter | The Playlist". Blogs.indiewire.com. Archived from the original on 16 June 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Philip Ward, Sandy Denny: Reflections on Her Music. Leicester: Troubador, 2011, p149. ISBN 978-1-78088-020-4
- Interview with Fact Magazine Fact Magazine
- Interview on NPR's All Things Considered 23 August 2008
- Rolling Stone
- The Times
- NME review
- New Album: Been Listening | Folk Radio UK
- The Independent: February 2009
- Sneak Peak [sic] Review of "Been Listening" | Folk Radio UK
- Johnny Flynn featuring Laura Marling - 'The Water' single review | SouthSonic