Galecki at PaleyFest 2013
|Born||John Mark Galecki
April 30, 1975
John Mark "Johnny" Galecki (born April 30, 1975) is an American actor. He is known for his role as David Healy in the ABC sitcom Roseanne from 1992–97 and as Dr. Leonard Hofstadter in the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory since 2007. Galecki also appeared in the films National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989), Prancer (1989), Suicide Kings (1997), I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), Bookies (2003), and In Time (2011).
Galecki was born in Bree, Belgium, to American parents of Polish, Irish, and Italian descent. His mother, Mary Lou Noon, was a mortgage consultant, and his father, Richard Galecki, was a member of the U.S. Air Force stationed in Belgium and also worked as a rehabilitation teacher. Galecki is the eldest of three children with a brother, Nick, whom he describes as a "mechanical genius" in the automotive industry, and a sister, Allison. Galecki grew up in Oak Park, Illinois.
During an interview with New Zealand radio station ZM, Galecki recalled his childhood relationship with his mother. As a child, he was well known for making up long stories and tales. In such situations, his mother used to make him play the "quiet game", where he had to see how long he could go without talking. He also recalled that despite being a loving mother, she was also very tough. One phrase she would lovingly use was, "I love you, now get out."
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Galecki made his acting debut in the 1987 CBS miniseries Murder Ordained with JoBeth Williams and future Roseanne co-star John Goodman. In 1989, Galecki portrayed Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Before his role on "Roseanne", he appeared on an episode of "Blossom" as Mayim Bialik's (Sheldon Cooper's girlfriend on "Big Bang Theory") make out partner. Episode entitled 'Sex, Lies and Teenagers' airing 2/4/1991. One of his best-known roles was as David Healy (first introduced as Kevin Healy) in the U.S. sitcom Roseanne. He also appeared in the 1995 music video for the Dave Matthews Band song "Satellite". Galecki was cast in the 1997 summer slasher I Know What You Did Last Summer and the 1998 dark comedy The Opposite of Sex. In the year 2000, Galecki reunited with Opposite of Sex director Don Roos, who cast him in Bounce.
Galecki continued his film streak with roles in Suicide Kings (1997) and brief bit parts in high-profile films such as Bean (1997), and a minor supporting part in Vanilla Sky (2001). Galecki played a young delinquent in A Family Torn Apart, a 1993 TV movie based on a true story about a serial killer. He was also in the 2003 film Bookies, a comedy thriller film written by Michael Bacall and directed by Mark Illsley. The story revolves around the lives of four college students. Galecki appeared as a golfer in a 2005 episode of My Name Is Earl entitled "Stole Beer from a Golfer".
In 2005, Galecki played Mark Corrigan in a pilot for a US adaptation of Peep Show. He played a character named Trouty on TBS's sitcom My Boys. He also played the half-brother of the main characters, sisters Hope Shanowski and Faith Fairfield, in the sitcom Hope & Faith. In late 2006 and early 2007, Galecki appeared in the Broadway play The Little Dog Laughed as a prostitute called Alex. "At its core, the play is about what we all sacrifice to be successful, whatever our careers or goals," he explains. Galecki originated the role earlier in 2006 at Second Stage Theatre. The widely popular comedy by Douglas Carter Beane had a successful run at Second Stage and moved to the Cort Theatre. The play closed on February 18, 2007, with Galecki taking home a 2007 Theater World Award for his performance.
Galecki currently plays the role of Leonard Hofstadter in the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory, which debuted September 24, 2007. He was originally asked to play the role of Sheldon Cooper, but he said he was better suited for the role of Leonard Hofstadter. During his role as David Healy, Sara Gilbert played the role of his longtime girlfriend and later wife, Darlene Conner. She has appeared as Leslie Winkle, a colleague in the sitcom. Laurie Metcalf, formerly cast in the role of Roseanne's sister Jackie Harris has appeared as Mary Cooper, mother of Leonard's roommate, Sheldon. Galecki is a cellist, a talent which has been used on the show. As of August 2013, Galecki and his Big Bang costars Kaley Cuoco and Jim Parsons each earn $325,000 per episode. As of August 2014, the three costars will now earn $1 million per episode.
Galecki appeared briefly in the 2008 superhero comedy Hancock, alongside Will Smith and Jason Bateman. In July 2011, Galecki played a parody version of himself in three episodes of Entourage. He also appeared in the film In Time (2011) with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried.
While working on The Big Bang Theory, Galecki dated co-star Kaley Cuoco for about two years until December 2009 while the two also played a couple on the show. Cuoco told CBS Watch that they have remained on good terms since ending their relationship. The pair, along with co-star Mayim Bialik, are vegetarian.
|1987||Time Out for Dad||Matt Kowalski|
|Murder Ordained||Doug Rule|
|1988||A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon||Toby Reardon|
|National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation||Russell "Rusty" Griswold|
|1990||Blind Faith||John Marshall|
|In Defense of a Married Man||Eric|
|1991||Backfield in Motion||Tim Seavers|
|1993||A Family Torn Apart||Daniel Hannigan|
|1996||Murder at My Door||Teddy McNair|
|Suicide Kings||Ira Reder|
|I Know What You Did Last Summer||Max Neurick|
|1998||The Opposite of Sex||Jason Bock|
|2000||Playing Mona Lisa||Arthur|
|Vanilla Sky||Peter Brown|
|White Like Me||Marcus||Short film|
|2007||Who You Know||David||Short film|
|2009||Table for Three||Ted|
|2016||The Master Cleanse||Paul|
|1995||Dave Matthews Band||"Satellite"|
Awards and nominations
- "Johnny Galecki". TV Guide. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Galecki, Johnny (May 3, 1992). "Johnny Galecki". The Sun Sentinel. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- "Johnny Galecki Biography (1975–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Conan Show Schedule January 2–6, 2012". Team Coco. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "Johnny Galecki Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "The Gnocchi from Skokie that Sang Karaoke". Conan. Season 2. Episode 103. June 13, 2012. TBS.
- "ZM's interview with Johnny". ZM Online. Archived from the original on October 22, 2010. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Gates, Anita (November 8, 2005). "WHAT'S ON TONIGHT". nytimes.com. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Fullerton, Huw (2015-11-07). "Peep Show US pilot starring The Big Bang Theory's Johnny Galecki". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- THEATER NEWS
- Battaglio, Stephen; Schneider, Michael (August 26, 2013). "What They Earn". TV Guide. pp. 16 - 20.
- Goldberg, Lesley (August 4, 2014). "'Big Bang Theory' Trio Inks New Deals, Securing Hefty Pay Raises". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Morgan, Hudson (September 2010). "Justify Her Love". CBS Watch.
- Galecki, Johnny (October 2015). "Meet The Plant Powered Stars of The Big Bang Theory". One Green Planet.
- Rouse, Wade (2014-08-27). "Johnny Galecki Splits from Kelli Garner". People. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- Garner, Kelli (2015-05-22). "Kelli Garner on The Talk". The Talk. ABC/Good Morning America.
- "Johnny Galecki On Family & His Life Upstate 01/05/12 – Video @". Teamcoco.com. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Johnny Galecki.|