Giavotella with the Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – No. 12
July 10, 1987 |
|August 5, 2011 for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||45|
Johnny Arthur Giavotella (born July 10, 1987) is an American professional baseball second baseman for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Kansas City Royals from 2011 through 2014.
Giavotella was born in Metairie, Louisiana, to Johnny Sr. and Cindy Giavotella. His family is Italian American. He attended Jesuit High School in New Orleans and the University of New Orleans, where he played college baseball for the New Orleans Privateers.
Kansas City Royals
The Kansas City Royals drafted Giavotella in the second round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He played in Class-A in the Midwest League in 2008 and 2009, advanced to Double-A in 2010, and played in the Pacific Coast League and Triple-A Omaha in 2011.
Giavotella was called up to the majors for the first time on August 5, 2011. On August 7, 2011, Giavotella hit his first major league career home run off the Detroit Tigers' Max Scherzer. The Royals recalled Giavotella on June 29, 2013 after Jeff Francouer was designated for assignment. Giavotella was designated for assignment on December 18, 2014.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- "Meet the New Angels: Johnny Giavotella". Halos Daily. 26 December 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Dabe, Christopher (25 April 2014). "Jesuit grad Johnny Giavotella talks about future in pro baseball and with Kansas City Royals organization". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Holt, Adam (12 September 2011). "For Giavotella, hard work runs in his family". MLB.com. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Johnny Giavotella again leads Omaha Storm Chasers past New Orleans Zephyrs". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Sickels, John (22 July 2011). "Prospect of the Day: Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Kansas City Royals". Minor League Ball. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Spain, Kevin (9 May 2012). "Former University of New Orleans baseball player Johnny Giavotella is called up to Kansas City". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Royals Make The Call: Johnny Giavotella Called Up To Kansas City". SB Nation Kansas City. Vox Media. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Giavotella's first homer lifts Royals in finale". MLB.com. 7 August 2011.
- "Royals recall Giavotella, designate Francoeur for assignment". MLB.com. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Royals designate Johnny Giavotella for assignment Thursday". CBS Sports. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Angels Acquire Johnny Giavotella From Royals". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Johnny Giavotella on Twitter