Giavotella with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2015
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – No. 12|
July 10, 1987 |
|August 5, 2011, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through July 28, 2016)
|Runs batted in||122|
Johnny Arthur Giavotella (born July 10, 1987) is an American professional baseball second baseman for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Kansas City Royals from 2011 through 2014.
Giavotella attended St. Matthew the Apostle School in River Ridge, Jesuit High School in New Orleans, and the University of New Orleans, where he played college baseball for the New Orleans Privateers.
Kansas City Royals
The Kansas City Royals drafted Giavotella in the second round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He played in Class-A in the Midwest League in 2008 and 2009, advanced to Double-A in 2010, and played in the Pacific Coast League and Triple-A Omaha in 2011.
Giavotella was called up to the majors for the first time on August 5, 2011. On August 7, 2011, Giavotella hit his first major league career home run off the Detroit Tigers' Max Scherzer. The Royals recalled Giavotella on June 29, 2013 after Jeff Francoeur was designated for assignment. Giavotella was designated for assignment on December 18, 2014.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- "Meet the New Angels: Johnny Giavotella". Halos Daily. December 26, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Dabe, Christopher (April 25, 2014). "Jesuit grad Johnny Giavotella talks about future in pro baseball and with Kansas City Royals organization". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Holt, Adam (September 12, 2011). "For Giavotella, hard work runs in his family". MLB.com. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "Johnny Giavotella again leads Omaha Storm Chasers past New Orleans Zephyrs". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Sickels, John (July 22, 2011). "Prospect of the Day: Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Kansas City Royals". Minor League Ball. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Spain, Kevin (May 9, 2012). "Former University of New Orleans baseball player Johnny Giavotella is called up to Kansas City". The Times-Picayune. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- "Royals Make The Call: Johnny Giavotella Called Up To Kansas City". SB Nation Kansas City. Vox Media. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Giavotella's first homer lifts Royals in finale". MLB.com. August 7, 2011.
- "Royals recall Giavotella, designate Francoeur for assignment". MLB.com. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Royals designate Johnny Giavotella for assignment Thursday". CBS Sports. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Angels Acquire Johnny Giavotella From Royals". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved December 19, 2014.