|Born||22 December 1971|
|Nationality||Chinese (Hong Kong)|
|Education||St. Paul's Co-educational College|
|Alma mater||King's College London (B.Sc.)|
Hughes Hall, Cambridge (Ph.D)
SOAS, University of London (M.A.)
Harvard Business School (Executive education)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Awards||Knight of the Order of the Star of Anjouan (Comoros)|
Order of Friendship (North Korea)
Medal of Honour (Hong Kong)
Medal of Honor, The Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem (Knights of Malta)
All Ukrainian Union Medal for the Rebuilding of Ukraine
Johnny Sei-Hoe Hon (born 22 December 1971) is a Hong Kong businessman and politician. He is the founder and executive chairman of Global Group International Holdings Ltd., a company he established after working at ABN AMRO Bank in Hong Kong. Hon is experienced in various fields of the financial industry including financial planning, lending, portfolio management, tax structuring and trust formation and is currently most notable for his media ventures and work as an executive producer in the film and television industry, as well as live theater.
Early life and education
Johnny Hon was born in Hong Kong on 22 December 1971 to Hon Tak Sun, and Wong Ling (Betty), he is the eldest of two sons. Hon now has four daughters. At age 13, Hon left Hong Kong to study at Uppingham School in the United Kingdom. In 1990, he went on to attend King's College London and graduated in 1993. Hon then attended Hughes Hall, Cambridge where he obtained his Ph.D. in Psychiatry. He also holds an M.A. degree in Korean Studies studied at The School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London and he holds postgraduate certifications at Harvard University.
After obtaining his Ph.D., Hon began his career in the private banking sector at ABN AMRO Bank in Hong Kong. He left private banking in 1997 and established Global Group International Holdings Ltd., which developed into an international venture capital company involved in banking, biotechnology, education, entertainment, leisure, financial services, financial technology, gaming, media, mining, oil and gas, property development and sports. Dr. Hon's goal to motivate positive China-UK relations remains at the forefront of his business endeavours.
Global Group's media and entertainment investments include a number of international projects such as W, a biographical drama produced by Oliver Stone that explored the life and presidency of George W. Bush. He was also executive producer of the film Protégé produced by Derek Yee, and the TV drama series in China, Da Ren Wu (2006–07). His latest film investment, Theory of Ambitions, is a Hong Kong crime thriller directed by Philip Yung and starring Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Aaron Kwok; the film is set to release the end of 2018.
Hon is also involved in the theatre business, and worked as executive producer with Michael Linnit and Michael Grade on the revival of Sunset Boulevard starring Glenn Close. He was also executive producer of the West End musical, 42nd Street (musical).
Further, Dr. Hon engages in various investment opportunities in fine art, wine collection, and horse racing. He has recently hired French jockey, Gerald Mossé, as his principal rider for his stable of over 40 horses in the United Kingdom and internationally.
The Global Group is an active sponsor of various educational funds and scholarships in both China and UK, including for University of Oxford and Peking University. The educational scholarships were created to open up opportunities for Chinese students. In July 2015, Hon was awarded the Medal of Honour from the Government of Hong Kong SAR for his contributions to the Lok Sin Tong Benevolent Society, Kowloon.
He is a Fellow of the Duke of Edinburgh Award World Fellowship and in 2016 was the first to be awarded the title of Diamond Benefactor for his contributions to the Fellowship. Hon is also a Founder Benefactor of Asia House and Vice President of the 48 Group Club in the United Kingdom.
In early 2018, Dr. Hon was a Major Donor of the New Countryside Construction Project in Xiaping Village, which is located in Yunfu City within China's Guangdong Province. The construction project increases government investment in agriculture, expanding rural areas and the fiscal coverage of rural areas and infrastructure.
Hon is a member of the 12th Heilongjiang Provincial Standing Committee, Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). He is a former Member of the 10th Heilongjiang Provincial CPPCC, the 11th Heilongjiang Provincial CPPCC, and a former Member of the 6th Yunfu Municipal Committee, CPPCC as well the 5th Yunfu Municipal Committee, CPPCC.
Further, Hon is an Economic Adviser for a number of local governments within China, including the People's Government of Jilin Province and the People's Government of Yuyao City in Zhejiang Province.
Hong Kong SAR (China)
Hon has been a long-standing member of the New People's Party (NPP) in Hong Kong since it was established in 2011 by Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee GBS JP, and was appointed as a Vice Chairman of the Party in January 2019.
 In 2007, Hon said, “No prize in the world is as prestigious as the ‘International Kim Il Sung Prize. As chairman of the International Kim Il Sung Foundation, I will make every possible effort to carry out the noble cause started by the President, deeply aware of the mission I have assumed before the times and humankind.’” The International Kim Il Sung Prize is an award conferred for contributions to the study and dissemination of the Juche idea.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Hon, J., Huppert, F.A., Holland, A.J. and Watson, P. (1998) The value of the Rivermead Behavioural Memory Test (Children's Version) in an epidemiological study of adults with Down's syndrome. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 37: 15-29
- Holland, A.J., Hon, J., Huppert, F.A., Stevens, F. and Watson, P. (1998) A population-based study of the prevalence and presentation of dementia in adults with Down's syndrome. British Journal of Psychiatry, 172: 493-498
- Hon, J., Holland, A.J., Huppert, F.A. and Watson, P. (1999) Neuropsychological assessment of older adults with Down's syndrome: an epidemiological study using the Cambridge Cognitive Examination (CAMCOG). British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 38: 155-165
- Rubinzstein, D., Hon, J., Stevens, F., Pyrah, L., Tysoe, C., Huppert, F.A., Easton, D.F. and Holland, A.J. (1999) ApoE genotype and risk of dementia in Down's syndrome. Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 88B (4): 344-347
- Holland, A.J., Hon, J., Huppert, F.A., Stevens, F. and Watson, P. (2000) The incidence and course of dementia in people with Down's syndrome: Findings from a population-based study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 44 (2): 138-146
- Ball, S.L., Holland, A.J., Huppert, F.A., Treppner, P., Watson, P. and Hon, J. (2004) The modified CAMDEX informant interview is a valid and reliable tool for use in the diagnosis of dementia in adults with Down's syndrome. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 48 (6): 611-620
- Ball, S.L., Holland, A.J., Hon, J., Huppert, F.A., Treppner, P. and Watson, P. (2006) Personality and behaviour changes mark the early stages of Alzheimer's disease in adults with Down's syndrome: findings from a prospective population-based study. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 21 (7): 661-673
- Landt, J., Ball, S.L., Holland, A.J., Hon, J., Owen, A., Treppner, P. and Herbert, J. (2011) Age-Related Changes in Plasma Dehydroepiandrosterone Levels in Adults with Down's Syndrome and the Risk of Dementia. Journal of Neuroendocrinology, 23 (5): 450-455
- Chinese, Visible. "Dr. Johnny Sei-Hoe Hon on Visible Chinese". www.visiblechinese.com. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "The Formidable Dr Johnny Hon - B Beyond Magazine". B Beyond Magazine. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Brinded, Lianna (24 October 2015). "This famous Asian media mogul told us how Britain needs to overcome its 'phobia' about China". Business Insider. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Oriental patron investment management - Ki Life". kilife.eu. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Green, Harriet (16 November 2015). "Global Group founder Johnny Hon on human rights". Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Meet the MD: Dr Johnny Hon of Global Group". Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Opportunities for UK businesses to expand into China". Global News, Analysis, Awards for Banking, Finance, Technology sector. 10 July 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Global Group Films Links with Tony Leung and Aaron Kwok for 'Theory of Ambitions' – Market Wired". marketwired.com. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Photo Flash: Glenn Close, Andrew Lloyd Webber and More at Opening Night of SUNSET BOULEVARD". BroadwayWorld.com. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Harding, Laura (5 April 2017). "Lady in red Kate Middleton presented with gold tap shoes at West End musical". mirror. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Investing in Luxury – Entrepreneur & Investor". entrepreneurandinvestor.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Gift Horse: Global Group's Johnny Hon On Why Racehorses Are A Good Investment".
- "Gift Horse, Global Group's long term investment in racehorses in the UK places the company in a prime position to capitalise on new markets for the sport of kings" (PDF). Hong Kong Tatler.
- "British Chinese in Profile: Dr Johnny Hon – International Investor and Philanthropist". Nee Hao Magazine. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Investing in the Future & the Importance of Giving Back – Entrepreneur & Investor". entrepreneurandinvestor.com. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Global businessman Johnny Hon on promoting global exchange - Lux Magazine". Lux Magazine. 20 April 2018. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- 企业家韩世灏积极做慈善为培育未来社会主人翁-搜狐财经 (in Chinese). Sohu Business. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation announces its first Diamond Benefactor – Dr Johnny Hon, MH | The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award". www.intaward.org. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "University of London School of Asian and African Alumni: President of the Hong Kong Exchange Promotion Association Han Shizhen". Bailitop.com (in Chinese). 11 March 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Following the "One Belt, One Road" Strategy, Play a Role as a Bridge for Hong Kong People". Wen Weipo (in Chinese). 1 July 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Hong Kong and Macao Commissioner Han Shizhen: Promoting New Diversified Industry Development and Innovating Poverty Alleviation Model". Wen Weipo (in Chinese). 26 January 2018. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- 韩世灏博士儿童先心病基金慈善救助项目落户哈市儿童医院 - 好大夫在线. www.haodf.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- 韓世灝博士 樂善興學 勵志青年 創見宏圖 - 香港文匯報. paper.wenweipo.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- 訪政協黑龍江省第十一屆委員會委員韓世灝 - 香港文匯報. paper.wenweipo.com. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- 二零一五年度總理就職典禮特輯 (PDF). Lok Sin Tong.[permanent dead link]
- 二零一六年度總理就職典禮特輯 (PDF). Wen Wei Po.
- "信報即時新聞 -- 韓世灝任新民黨副主席". 信報即時新聞. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- ""Career"". Johnny Hon. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- ""Even a bad-boy dictator needs friends"". Public Radio International (PRI). 2 December 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Chairman of International Kim Il Sung Foundation Interviewed". Korean Central News Agency. 20 October 2007. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- 二零一五年度總理就職典禮特輯 (PDF). Lok Sin Tong.[permanent dead link]
- 二零一六年度總理就職典禮特輯 (PDF). Wen Wei Po.
- "New Grant of Arms". Heraldry Society of Scotland. Retrieved 7 August 2019.