|Dr. Johnny M. Hunt|
July 17, 1952 |
Lumberton, North Carolina, United States
|Genre||Inspirational, Christian living|
|Spouse||Janet Allen Hunt|
|Children||Deanna Hunt Carswell & Holly Hunt Hixson|
Johnny M. Hunt (born July 17, 1952) is an evangelical Christian pastor, author, and former President of the Southern Baptist Convention. He is currently the senior pastor of First Baptist Church Woodstock, in Woodstock, Georgia.
Hunt was born in Lumberton, North Carolina. He is a member of the Lumbee Native American Indian tribe based in North Carolina. Hunt's father left the family when he was seven. He became an alcoholic and gambler. He dropped out of school at 16 and managed a pool room. In his book, Out of the Poolroom, Hunt chronicles his early life and conversion to Christianity. He has earned degrees from Gardner-Webb College and the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and received honorary doctorates from Immanuel Baptist Theological Seminary, Covington Theological Seminary, and Tennessee Temple University.
He is married to Janet Allen Hunt of Wilmington, North Carolina. They have two daughters: Deanna Hunt Carswell and Hollie Hunt Hixson. They also have three granddaughters: Katie Carswell, Hope Hixson, and Addie Hixson. He has one grandson, Carson Carswell.
Hunt has held ministry positions at Lavonia Baptist Church, Mooresboro, North Carolina (July 1976–August 1979), Falls Baptist Church in Wake Forest, North Carolina (1979–1980), Longleaf Baptist Church, Wilmington, North Carolina (May 1981–December 1, 1986), and at his present church, the First Baptist Church in Woodstock, Georgia, from 1986 to the present. First Baptist Woodstock is one of the largest churches in the United States. Under his ministry the church has grown from about 1,000 to more than 19,000 members.
In June 1996, Hunt was named the President of SBC Pastor's Conference. On March 11, 1997, the Johnny Hunt Chair of Biblical Preaching was established at the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. In June 2008, Hunt succeeded Frank Page as the President of the Southern Baptist Convention, and served in that capacity for 2 years. He was succeeded by Bryant Wright.
- Building Your Leadership Resume: Developing the Legacy that Will Outlast You. B&H Publishing Group. 2009. ISBN 0-8054-4964-7.
- Building Your Spiritual Resume. 3H Publishers. 2007.
- From the Poolroom to the Pulpit. Self published.
- The Deacon I Want to Be: Growing in Faith, Faithful in Service - Learner Manual. Sampson Resources. 2008. ISBN 9781933376912.
- The Deacon I Want to Be: Growing in Faith, Faithful in Service - Leader Guide. LifeWay Christian Resources. 2008. ISBN 9781933376929.
- Impact: The Student Leadership Devotional. Thomas Nelson Publishers. 2012. ISBN 9781404174283.
- The Book of Hebrews: An Archive of Exegetical Sermon Notes. 3H Publishers. 2007.
- The Book of Philippians: An Archive of Exegetical Sermon Notes. 3H Publishers. 2007.
- The Book of James: An Archive of Exegetical Sermon Notes. 3H Publishers. 2003.
- The Book of Ecclesiastes: An Archive of Exegetical Sermon Notes. 3H Publishers. 2004.
- The Book of Psalms: An Archive of Exegetical Sermon Notes.
- Southern Baptist Convention
- Southern Baptist Convention Presidents
- List of Southern Baptist Convention affiliated people
- "Georgia minister to lead Baptists". UPI.com. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- "Dr. Johnny Hunt: A Passion for Ministry". The Christian View. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Ugly Car, Pretty Girl,and Mr. Pridgen". JesusMyAnchor.com. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "About Dr. Hunt". It's A New Day Ministries.
- "SBC President's Page". Southern Baptist Convention.
- "Bio for Johnny Hunt" Sermon Search, accessed 12 June 2008.
- "Pastor Serves Same Church for 25 Years". Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- Audrey Barrick (Jun 16, 2010). "Bryant Wright Named New SBC President". Christian Post Reporter. Retrieved 2010-08-26.