23 April 1895
|Died||18 December 1950
Los Angeles County, California, United States
|Relatives||Norman Brokaw (nephew)|
Hyde was the vice-president of the William Morris Agency's West Coast office during the 1930s and 1940s and represented some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. In 1949, he met then-unknown actress and model Marilyn Monroe when she was being photographed by Hollywood pin-up photographer Bruno Bernard at the Racquet Club of Palm Springs. Taking her on as a client, he had her undergo minor plastic surgery, and used his influence to help her land the roles of Angela in The Asphalt Jungle and Miss Caswell in All About Eve. The buzz generated by her performances enabled Hyde to negotiate a contract for Monroe with 20th Century Fox. Just a few days after securing the contract, Hyde died of a heart attack aged 55.
Despite the fact that Monroe was nearly 31 years his junior, Hyde eventually left his wife for her. He wanted to marry her, but she repeatedly refused his marriage proposals; she said she loved Hyde, but was not actually in love with him.
Death and legacy
Hyde died on 18 December 1950.
Hyde was played by Ron Rifkin in Norma Jean & Marilyn, Richard Basehart in the TV movie Marilyn: The Untold Story, Joel Gray in the TV movie Marilyn and Me, and Lloyd Bridges in the TV miniseries Moviola episode This Year's Blonde.
- Dagan, Carmel (29 October 2016). "Norman Brokaw, Innovative, Powerful Agent at William Morris, Dies at 89". Variety. Michelle Sobrino. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Meyers, Jeffrey (January 19, 2012). The Genius and the Goddess: Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe. University of Illinois Press; 1st Edition edition. p. 155. ISBN 9780252078545.
- Eszterhas, Joe (2006). The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God!. New York: St Martin's Press. ISBN 978-0-312-35987-4.
- von Sorge, Helmut (30 April 1984). "Palm Springs – das Goldene Kaff". Der Spiegel (in German). Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Marylin Monroe Before and After Rhinoplasty
- "Marilyn Monroe - Facts & Info". Marilyn Monroe Facts. MarilynMonroePages.com. Retrieved 2009-05-28. External link in
- Riese, Randall; Hitchens, Neal (1987). The Unabridged Marilyn, Her Life From A to Z. New York: Congdon & Weed. ISBN 978-0-517-65075-2.
- Guiles, Fred Lawrence (1993). Legend: The Life and Death of Marilyn Monroe. New York: Marlowe & Co. ISBN 1-56924-937-7.
- Rose, Frank (1995). The Agency: William Morris and the Hidden History of Show Business. New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 0-88730-749-3.
- California Death Records, using the search terms "John Hyde" 'vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com' 2 July 2010